Hen in shock?

• 7 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Hen in shock?
« on: March 16, 2010, 19:35 »
Hi guys

I let my girls out of their run for a roam around the garden when I got in from work this evening and I was in the kitchen when I heard all 3 of them doing their alarm call so I ran out and a cat was out there, one of the girls was in the run and it looked like the cat was following her in but it ran off so quickly I couldn't be sure whether it had tried to attack or was just being nosy.

I stayed out with them as it was getting dark and they were getting themselves ready for bed, still a bit nervy but a lot calmer. I checked inside and underneath the coop and opened all the doors so they could see the cat was gone as they seemed apprehensive to go to bed. They seemed ok and fluffy went in, honey was just about to follow and then suddenly went mental, I think she was just spooked but must of thought the cat had come back. She scared Mrs B so much that she flew up onto the kitchen window sill and wouldn't come down even though the others had gone to bed. I tried to calm her and give her some corn to coax her down but she wasn't interested so I just stroked her gently and spoke softly to her. Eventually I lifted her off and took her back inside but she wouldn't go in the coop even though the other 2 were all snuggled in there. She sat on top and sank down as if she was going to sleep there. In the end I had to put her in but she didn't want to go and was flapping a lot. Once in she seemed ok and sat on the perch quiet but I'm so worried as I've never seen her so scared. I think she might be in shock even though I'm sure none of them were actually attacked and when I came out she was at this end of the garden not even near the cat.

Do you think she'll be ok? You hear of animals dying of shock and she seemed so terrified. I don't think it helped that it was right before bedtime and by the time I got her in it was nearly dark.

Bless her, I'm so worried that I'll go out in the morning to find her dead :(

They're usually so tough and not scared of cats, the other week they chased one away up the garden!

Liz xx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hen in shock?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 19:37 »
I don't think that there is much you can do I'm afraid, just leave her to calm down and hopefully she will be fine in the morning.
Staffies are softer than you think.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 19:43 »
Yes I hope so, bless her. At least she has the others to look after her, its me thats probably more shocked I'm sitting here with the tv off so I can hear if they call - just as well I don't have any kids imagine what I'd be like with them lol :lol: I know I shall worry all night and not sleep very well.

Maybe a stiff drink before bed might do the trick  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 19:47 »
she's safer locked away in her coup than outside, so relax, grab that drink and enjoy  :D

Beano

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 13:38 »
Was she ok this morning?
One of ours (Buttercup) is terrified if a buzzard or a kite does a fly-by. She will run under the nearest bush and will stay there for at least half an hour making a strange chattering noise.
She has a lot of leghorn in her, so I think that deep down in her genes she knows the danger of birds of pray. The trouble is, we have a buzzard that likes to sit in a tree at the bottom of the garden checking out the fields at the back. She doesn't seem to realise that he's not looking in her direction.
Hope yours had calmed down by this morning.
El.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 20:24 »
It's amazing that a domestic bird's instinct is to hide when a bird of prey is present. I was watching some young ducks sitting out in the garden last week and there were all sorts of birds flying and perching about i.e. wood pigeons, magpies, blackbirds etc. but they didn't even flinch. However a Kestrel flew past and they all scrambled for cover as though they were going to be attacked. The Kestrel wasn't even interested in them so was probably just out for a good laugh :D!

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 21:51 »
Had the cat been up to the coop? Perhaps she could smell it? They really are hard wired for some reactions and as a human it's hard to tell what they sense. Maybe it was you that linked the cat to the panic and the culprit was elsewhere? If they're all OK now then great, but if not, or if it happens again you could try spraying the coop to dominate any odours and see what happens.
Best of luck

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 20:36 »
She's fine now thanks :lol: I kept waking up in the night worrying but she was fine in the morning, I think she'd forgotten all about it. I did wonder if they could smell the cat and thats what spooked them. I've been wary letting them out since though and only let them out when I've been out there.

They are funny, mostly cats don't bother them at all but this was a cat I've never seen before maybe a tomcat, he looked pretty big.

I can see why they'd be scared of a bird of prey as I guess they're the same size but can fly, that must pee them off a bit, having wings and only being able to get a few feet off the ground lol

xx
Im in a happy shock.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 00:36
by NormandyMary
xx
Nasty shock fox about

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 14:24
by daisy1990
xx
Nasty shock this morning

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 09:48
by pink-chicken
xx
Had a nasty shock today....

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 10:53
by babe

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 39 queries.