cabbage problem?

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

cabbage problem?
« on: July 14, 2020, 08:21 »
we are at present cutting cabbage [pointed] although the cabbage looks good to cut and the there is no problem with leaves the core is going black not having experienced this before when growing any brassicas I'm not sure what it can be is it a fungal thing ? is it something to do with the soil ?

perhaps someone can give me an answer why this is happening the cabbage  where grown in a raised bed and obviously brassicas won't be planted there for another couple of seasons so other things will get planted in that bed hopefully has anyone got any answer what's causing this to happen

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: cabbage problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:23 »
It seems to be basically the same thing that causes Blossom End Rot in tomatoes - bad movement of Calcium through the plant issues, usually caused by irregular watering.
https://ag.umass.edu/vegetable/fact-sheets/brassicas-tip-burn
Tipburn and internal browning are physiological disorders related to calcium uptake and transport. The inner leaves of heads of cabbage and Brussels sprouts are affected, often without external symptoms.  Tipburn is caused by inadequate transport of calcium to rapidly growing tissues. Low levels of calcium at leaf margins result in tissue collapse. High nitrogen levels result in large outer leaves that accumulate calcium at the expense of young, expanding leaves. Environmental conditions that favor rapid growth also increase tipburn. Adequate soil moisture promotes rapid growth, while excess soil moisture reduces soil oxygen levels and reduces calcium uptake. Tipburn and internal browning are often associated with alternating dry and abundant moisture cycles and are more common where plants are grown on sandy soils.

Avoid conditions that favor rapid growth such as excess nitrogen. Maintain optimum fertility with a phosphorous to potassium ratio of 1:1. Irrigation may be necessary to maintain even soil moisture. Additions of calcium to soil or as a foliar application do not alleviate the problem. Prompt harvesting of crops reduces this disorder. Cultivars differ in susceptibility

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 19:55 »
i think your rite Mum i did top dress the plants with some direct nitrogen feed and i probably used to much nitrogen perhaps i should look at using less nitrogen and more chicken pellets ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 21:52 »
Chicken pellets are high in nitrogen too.  I'd stop feeding high nitrogen completely for now.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 07:53 »
Ok Yorkie good advise how about an organic feed if needed?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 20:16 »
It's really about looking at the NPK ratios - if the N is about the same as, or less than, the others then it should be fine whatever it is  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 22:34 »
Tipburn and internal browning are often associated with alternating dry and abundant moisture cycles
I'd be thinking about using no extra fertiliser, in the short term, plus hoping that rainfall is more consistent, not the feast or famine we've had so far this year ::)
If you think about it, it's usually a regular watering regime that sorts out the calcium problem that causes BER in tomatoes, isn't it?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 22:36 by mumofstig »

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 07:30 »
thanks for your replies now I'm learning  :D i must  have gone over the top with the big N never mind I'm learnt my lesson and got some good sound advise so its not all lost

I'm going out to buy some growmore now my farmer friends said you should have put the N on with a teaspoon not a shovel  :lol:

xx
cabbage problem

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2022, 17:13
by rowlandwells
xx
Cabbage Seeds - Problem!!

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2018, 09:53
by freefolk
clip
Problem with hispi cabbage

Started by Hitman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 10:15
by compostqueen
xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 38 queries.