Treats

• 9 Replies

Fisherman

Treats
« on: January 22, 2010, 19:59 »
I read that most people give chickens various treats but I can't get my head round how much per bird e.g.
Sweetcorn as a treat is fine, but it should only be a small amount!!!!!
What is a small amount??? A handful per chicken or a bucketful per chicken?
Similar for mealworms.
Interested to know for future reference.

Also if you buy corn fed chicken / eggs does this mean they are only fed on corn / sweetcorn? Can't believe it myself!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Treats
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 22:55 »
hi fisherman! i give my girls quite a few treats that perhaps i shouldnt. I probably give them about the equivalent of a teacup full each per day (spaghetti, rice, bits of bread, pasta, tuna and other leftovers) i also give them greens and a couple of rather large handfulls of corn in the afternoon between them. they get pellets on tap which they mainly ignore! - they are more or less free range at the moment but this is going to be short lived as WIR almost ready for them to move into! :D

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:00 »
Thanks LucyLou
I am planning on getting a few POL chickens in spring so am just gathering information so I know what I'm doing. Just in the process of designing a house and run.

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:57 »
I give mine 1 x 25kg sack mixed corn per day from Nov-Feb, then half that from March. That is for approx 400 birds.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 22:44 »
Hmmm, some peeps are a bit generous  ??? Remember that the layers pellets are what they get their main nutrition from, and their crop will only hold so much food.  Try never to feed their treats until after they have had a good breakfast of pellets. I feed my treats in the late after noon.  A SMALL handful of mixed corn (sort of large egg-cup full) per bird, less if they teeny ones, more if they very large fowl. (Corn is not really recommended for young growers, as high nutrition is paramount at this age). Mine turn their noses up at cabbage and veggies  ::) unless i boil it all up with layers mash, so they dont get those sort of extras often, only really on sundays. 

Do remember treats are just that, Treats, so not too much.  It wouldnt matter if they didnt get them,   :( but they love them so much it is a good way to get them hand tame, and to love you.   :D

Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

Brambles

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 23:01 »
My girls get a small handful of corn early evening (4pm this time of year)  or around 6pm in the summer.   They have layers pellets on tap plus grit and oyster shell that is about all... though in the summer when I am finding lots of pesties like leatherjackets, wireworms etc...  those are like chocolates!!!!   Maybe some apple windfalls in autumn, but not every day.....  I always thought that a small handful each of corn kept them warm at night, is this so???

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 07:14 »
Hmmm, some peeps are a bit generous  ??? Remember that the layers pellets are what they get their main nutrition from, and their crop will only hold so much food.  Try never to feed their treats until after they have had a good breakfast of pellets. I feed my treats in the late after noon.  A SMALL handful of mixed corn (sort of large egg-cup full) per bird, less if they teeny ones, more if they very large fowl. (Corn is not really recommended for young growers, as high nutrition is paramount at this age). Mine turn their noses up at cabbage and veggies  ::) unless i boil it all up with layers mash, so they dont get those sort of extras often, only really on sundays. 

Do remember treats are just that, Treats, so not too much.  It wouldnt matter if they didnt get them,   :( but they love them so much it is a good way to get them hand tame, and to love you.   :D

The mixed corn is in addition to a sack of layers per day. This increases as the corn decreases.

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 10:51 »
Ours are pretty spoilt on the treats at the moment but then there is NO grass left in the run or in the garden, no plants either!  As soon as things start to grow again they will find that they will get a lot less goodies as they will get the greens they need whilst ranging.  Tho I may have to grow some perpetual greens to keep them in food next winter as it is costing a fortune in lettuce and cabbage at the mo :)
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 17:50 »
Mine don't have any access to grass now, but they won't eat their greens, either! Peas, yes, but none of the cabbage family!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

chooksbury

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 18:30 »
Our 3 get layers ad lib which we use a handfull of on very cold mornings to make a hot mash to which a tablespoon of oatmeal and a small handful of raising is added with a pinch of poultry spice.  they get a couple of small heads spring greens or a rosette of kale, or half a cabbage hanging up or sometimes a corn cob .. and late afternoon, one handful of corn fed from the hand, the remainder in their grit tray .. Oh and maybe half a dozen grapes for the entertainment value

xx
Treats

Started by cejx on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:58
by jinty1911
xx
Treats and Veg

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 22:09
by Tenhens
xx
Treats, treats and more treats

Started by Beano on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 11:33
by Arnfields
xx
Treats

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 20:33
by Newbie

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.