Last of my winter clean up jobs.

• 9 Replies

Lardman

Last of my winter clean up jobs.
« on: February 24, 2010, 22:27 »
My apple tree.

Its a bit of a mess ! I cleaned up all the dead wood last winter but its didn't even produce 1 apple last year, which frankly for a 30ft tree is rather a poor show so its time for action.

I've youtube'd, googled and read and Im still not sure what to do,  :(  everything seems to be geared around nice little 6ft trees, rather than the untidy monster I have.

Its a butt ugly shape so has no aesthetic value and no fruit either means its just a waste of space, Id like fruit but I can wait a few years if thats what it will take to bring the tree under control.

Thoughts? Im leaning towards a drastic prune back to 12ft and then deal with the watershoots.
IMG00020-20100224-1424a.jpg
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 17:46 by Lardman »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Last of my winder clean up jobs.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 22:35 »
If it was me, I'd do this over tow or three years.

Take out any rotten or dead wood, and then reduce the remaining branches to about 1.5m, and prune to encourage fruiting spurs. BUT not all at once.

This is a good time in the year to do it. Summer prune any new growth on your rejuvenated half, to deal with any water shoots and again encourage fruiting buds to swell. Then at th end of next winter begin work on the other half.

Give it a good feed too about now.

Hope that helps a bit  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 16:38 »
I removed all the dead last winter and cut back a lot of the messy branches lower down. I did lose my bottle on cutting the larger branches out though.

Today I've taken out some of the larger newer growth in the middle, I'm still not 100% on how to deal with the main 2 branches Id like to cut the larger one out at 20ft but getting that high is proving a problem.

The old bloke next door - Who I think is responsible for its current state - thinks I should just cut it at trunk level. He also tells me it was a mature tree when he moved in 40 years ago, so I have no idea how old it is.

Give it a good feed too about now.

Any suggestions on what and how ?

madcat

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 17:01 »
I feed ours after pruning with bonemeal on the soil and then a good mulch of compost off the heap on top of it on what is supposed to be a nice round bed at the base.  The theory being that it is easier to mow to an edge and the tree doesn't get the competition from the grass, but I'm not sure I buy it.  But it does make it easier to mulch.

I'm not sure I would cut it at trunk level ...  it would take so long to get back to fruiting you may as well remove it and put in a new tree.  But it sounds like you are heading towards the bowl shape the books recommend.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lardman

Re: Last of my winter clean up jobs.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 17:51 »
Nice round bed ... on that slope no chance  ::) and we'll just ignore the pile of rubbish around the base   :blush:

I'll get some bonemeal next time Im out then - thought there might be something special for apple trees.

Its very difficult to get a bowl shape with only 2 branches, not help by some muppet having a fire under the left hand side burning most of the canopy away there.  >:(

madcat

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 18:18 »
Ooops!   

Mulching does help with the weeds round the base too - but the blackbird throws it EVERYWHERE!!!  so i'm really not sure I'm with that theory.  But the bone meal is slow release - I must admit I chuck it under a lot of my shrubs that aren't going to get any other TLC, ideally just before it rains to damp it down and wash it in a bit.  Which is very effective at getting the rain clouds to go away ....  that fella murphy's law again.   ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 18:55 »
I feed our trees with rose fertiliser once a year (about now) and a good helping of compost from the bin too  :D :D

DavidT

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 20:13 »
All bonemeal does is improve root growth, Feed with a high potash fertilizer if you want to encourage flowering and fruiting. What`s the variety, by the way, and how has it cropped in previous years? :D

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 22:42 »
All bonemeal does is improve root growth, Feed with a high potash fertilizer if you want to encourage flowering and fruiting. What`s the variety, by the way, and how has it cropped in previous years? :D

Id rather it put its energy into regrowing properly rather than fruiting at the moment. I think its a cox's orange but I can't say for sure.

Last year there was nothing at all. The year before about a bucket full of small 2-3" fruit. 

I know I should really call an expert but its just not in the budget.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 23:41 »
To bring it under control and into fruiting you need to cut off some of the top header branches, which will make it shorter and accessible to begin with and concentrate on getting remaining branches pointing towards sides, which encourages fruiting spurs. Some folk weigh down branches with jugs of water or bricks tied on, the pros wedge pieces of wood to force the turn. And feeding the tree definitely helps; I pile lots of manure around every tree every fall. Can be done in spring if you have rotted manure. The jump in production is surprising.

xx
Jobs for the day

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 19:02
by brucesgirl
xx
jobs

Started by beetrootboy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 17:34
by beetrootboy
xx
Three jobs a session...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 18:50
by DigIt
xx
What jobs are you doing this month?

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post January 11, 2019, 04:54
by DHM

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.