Can anyone identify this.............

• 7 Replies

mumsy

« on: June 03, 2008, 16:10 »
Worm............It was found under our plum tree, could it have anything to do with the disease the tree has? or is it just a thread worm from bird poo perhaps?

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 16:26 »
Eerrrrrrrrrrrr !!  :shock:

No idea

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 17:06 »
is that inside the leaf? if so it's gotta be leaf miner, I would have thought.
I'm squinting at the computer screen (mis-placed my glasses again....)

mumsy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 17:33 »
No. its not inside the leaf, it looks exactly like a thread worm, prob has come from some bird poo, but our plum tree has a disease that we don't know what it is.

weeeed

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 18:12 »
Do you use greese bands or anything to protect the tree in winter? The worm does look like the kind birds get doesn't it. There is a moth which likes mulberrries (not the silk worm) and this causes leaves to curl up almost like peach curl (that's a dif pest!) is this affecting the fruit in any way? If you explain what exactly is happening someone on this forum is sure to be able to help. Good luck. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 20:19 »
Those are the long white thready worms things I was talking about, think they may be horsehair worms. I f they are, they're harmless to animals, humans and vegetation. They're parasitic to slugs, snails, cockroaches crickets etc, killing their host as they emerge. They don't eat once they've emerged (I don't think) Found in fresh clear water, bird baths, sinks etc, best to google and it'll explain better, presuming they are those of course  :?

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 18:17 »
Quote from: "mashbintater"
Those are the long white thready worms things I was talking about, think they may be horsehair worms. I f they are, they're harmless to animals, humans and vegetation. They're parasitic to slugs, snails, cockroaches crickets etc, killing their host as they emerge. They don't eat once they've emerged (I don't think) Found in fresh clear water, bird baths, sinks etc, best to google and it'll explain better, presuming they are those of course  :?

most nematodes are parasites but they are very host specific the ones that parasitise slugs would be different to the ones hosted by insects. I think the long round worms in the photo parasitise only insects.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 18:38 »
Worms, nematodes, round worms and tape worms - which the picture rather looks like to me and not a round one - round worms. All have tens of thousands of known species...

Horse hair worm for one is not white.

LINK

Anyhow, I don't think it has anything to do with the tree, as you say Mumsy, it came from somewhere else... :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Can anybody help identify this?

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 08:11
by gobs
clip
Can you identify this

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2019, 12:47
by ches
xx
Can you help identify...

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 21:35
by Salmo
xx
Identify this?

Started by Lawrence on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 16:48
by Lawrence

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.