hedging to improve yield

• 12 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
hedging to improve yield
« on: January 19, 2015, 21:43 »
Just checked my book and a 3 ft hedge should be tall enough to stop the worst of the wind up to 30ft and my plot is only 20ft wide so i'm going to trim some of the bigger plant this spring to encourage bushiness.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: hedging to improve yield
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:45 »
Regular trimming of hedging does give a better result, if you want a good sturdy windbreaks   :)

I think the theory is the wind hits the hedge and diverts up.  My small piece of plot is next to the boundary hedge and the guy next to me has been steadily clearing round it and cutting it back as he is taking over the strip next to it for his own use.  It's a bit taller at around 4 feet, but it does provide a lot of shelter  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:43 »
Scaffolders debris netting, attached to an existing fence or some new posts, would do a similar job - without the wait for the hedge to grow :) which is 3 -5 years for it to thicken up / gain a decent height (as you say 3' may be enough, personally I would want a bit taller).  Hedge may cast some shade, and steal nutrients ... good for wildlife though, if the birds in it eat all your slugs its a much better proposition than some debris netting :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:58 »
The protection your garden gets from a hedge is about seven times its height, also hedges let the wind through but slows them down rather than a solid barrier which causes the wind to buffet up against it so it swirls over onto the garden side. A good top and side pruning will encourage new and faster growth so it shouldn't take long to establish a bushy hedge but you will need to keep trimming back any thin shoots during the year so you get side-shoots to help thicken it up.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09 »
I've got a hawthorn and sloe hedge very slowly growing.  I think its in its 3rd year now.  And I keep pruning it back to encourage bushiness but...its so windy where I am that I think that is making it very slow going.  Also have a windbreak up with debris netting - that works quite well but is getting a bit tattered. 

I'm holding on to the thought that in another 3 years the hedge might start to make a difference. 

I also put windbreak up round individual beds where there is something particularly delicate growing - and that can make a huge difference. Need to work on my DIY skills though - as they look quite shonky.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 13:39 »
I've got a hawthorn and sloe hedge very slowly growing.  I think its in its 3rd year now.  And I keep pruning it back to encourage bushiness but...its so windy where I am that I think that is making it very slow going.  Also have a windbreak up with debris netting - that works quite well but is getting a bit tattered.

I have put debris netting to protect a young hedge, which helped it grow.

No substitute for good soil preparation for a hedge :) and I irrigate my young hedges in summer (using leaky hose), and feed it with high Nitrogen fertiliser just as the buds are fattening to break in Spring.

ptarmigan

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 15:57 »
Good thought - I'll feed it this year to give it a bit of encouragement - I don't think I can face putting any more windbreak up in front of the hedge - even though it would probably be a good idea.  I'd have to gird my loins as the ground is very hard to get posts in.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 17:55 »
Most of the hedge is in its 3rd winter I moved some when I gained extra land. I think by the end of next summer I will be seeing some benefit. I'm also hoping it will encourage birds to nest and insects when it flowers. I have loads of space and a flower border so the growing area lost will be minimal against the gain in yield. The bottom end is mainly roses for security when the fruit trees start to produce.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 08:39 »
I don't think I can face putting any more windbreak up in front of the hedge - even though it would probably be a good idea.  I'd have to gird my loins as the ground is very hard to get posts in.

It won't need any protection until the buds start to break, if that makes the job any more palatable? :) Doubt it will need protection after mid Summer either - it probably won't grow much then, and most places don't get cold winds then either, although drying, continuous, wind will reduce its ability to grow (by increasing transpiration stress)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 12:01 »
I found some annual height measurements for a hedge I planted a few years ago.  Its Hornbeam, so perhaps not representative of Hawthorn, but I'm pleased with how it has done:

March 2011 planted 60/80cm
(Not much growth in first year, no measurement for the end of the season)
Oct 2012 140cm
Oct 2013 (No measurement)
Oct 2014 310cm

May 2011

Sep 2014
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:02 by Kristen »

ptarmigan

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 15:27 »
Kristen you should be very proud - the layout and everything looks really good.  Nice bit of growth too.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 21:53 »
looks very good :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 09:42 »
Well prepared soil, quality plants, reasonable amount of fertiliser, watered regularly in first year and thereafter in dry spells.  That's it, no magic nor green-finger wagging!

xx
How to improve my allotment soil

Started by riggers24 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 11, 2018, 22:25
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Best way to improve soil for potatoes.

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 03, 2019, 23:14
by John
xx
using sand to improve drainage

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 05:55
by BabbyAnn
xx
Wood chips to improve soil?

Started by NettleBed on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 27, 2017, 18:30
by NettleBed

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 34 queries.