Saxifraga

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

Saxifraga
« on: March 10, 2024, 11:52 »
has anyone grew Saxifrags [rock plant] from seed maybe its a shot in the dark but any info on growing this from seed would be much appreciated because it quite a nice plant that adorns any wall or rockery RW

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Saxifraga
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 12:27 »
I did grow Saxifraga x arendsii 'Flower Carpet' from seed a few years back.  It was a cheap pack of Sarah Raven seeds that I bought in a seed sale on her website.

They were successful in that I got a lot of plants and they weren’t that tricky, but they are slow to get going. I just followed the pack instructions, which I don’t remember exactly, but they have to be on the surface of the free draining compost just covered with sand and I think sown in autumn to overwinter and break dormancy.   

We had a few bad frosts the following winter and I lost the lot unfortunately. Perhaps because they were only young plants and could have done with going into the cold greenhouse.  If you want loads for putting into a wall it is a cheap way to do it though.

rowlandwells

Re: Saxifraga
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 17:29 »
 thanks new shoot for your reply its says in my seed catalogue sowings an be made from April to July but I take your point about sowing the seed on the compost surface I guess you covered the seed with a light covering of
 horty sand one again many thanks for that info

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 42 queries.