Scotch Bonnet Chillies, no heat!

• 25 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Scotch Bonnet Chillies, no heat!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 09:19 »
In caribean cooking, you put them in whole to wet dishes and be careful not to break them open, then fish them out before serving.  You get the lovely fruity hotness that way, but the food doesn't blow your head off.  Its worth trying as they have a flavour unike most chillies  :)

I grew some one year and the ones we couldn't use fresh were dried.  Then I pulsed them in the food processor to make chilli flakes.  It nearly felled me when I opened the processor lid and I had to leave the back door open for quite a while for the fumes to clear  :lol:  The jar of chilli flakes lasted me about 3 years, as only a tiny amount was needed each time.

These could be dangerous and will be kept well away from the normal hot salsa's.

Unless you are a real chilli fiend, that's a good plan  :lol:

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 10:02 »
Firstly I must admit that I am a chilli head, I must admit this year has not been a good year for growing them I just think it has been to cold, We had our chilli testing down at the pub the other day, the Scotch Bonnets were hot but not as hot as usual still a good kick I must say. I grew some other super hot ones this year including the 7 pot chilli and the Carolina Reaper. As for the reaper this is insanely hot My tongue even  swelled up it was like chewing a soldering iron, I just don't know what you would do with something this hot  :ohmy:
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 16:01 »
Well thank you Jambob and MarkW. that makes me feel even worse!   :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 08:46 »
I reckon you were sold a dud  ;)

When I grew Scotch Bonnet chillies, the plant was in a pot in the greenhouse, just like yours and got watered and fed the same as all the other peppers.   I can't see you did anything wrong.  Even if you really pampered the plant, it would have only got a bit milder.  In a Scotch Bonnet that would just bring them down from volcanic to normal hot chilli heat.

If the nursery that grew the plant had some dodgy seed, that would account for it.  Not much help I know, but at least you can blame someone else  :lol:

jambop

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 17:49 »
Well I would admit to liking hot food but there is a limit to what I  would call enjoyable :) although it is well know that capsaicin is very much a drug that one becomes desensitised to in fact I have no doubt that I myself have become as such but the heat of these particular peppers takes things to another level for me. I have been online and got some very tasty sounding pepper sauce recipes so am going to go for a couple and give them a go what is there to lose other than my taste buds :)
this recipe took my fancy but I cannot help but think there is a lot of macho bravado involved in chilli sauce eating :) going to go with this though it looks great in the jar and I like a kick to my roast beef sandwich LOL :)
KyfhExFnRok
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 18:17 by jambop »

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 23:35 »
That looks very colourful Jambob!  In fact, although it was made with only cayenne and apache chillies, the recipe for Thai hot sweet chilli sauce that one of our old members put on here was delicious, and I make it every year (perhaps not this year though with these scotch bonnets!  :nowink:)

Recipe for Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce

Sent in by: Grannieannie (recipe kindly donated by 'Boscombe')
Ingredients

2 ounces fresh red chilies, roughly chopped (remove seeds if less heat is desired)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
4 ounces sultanas, chopped (white raisins)
1-2 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Method

Place chilies in a food processor with half the vinegar and process until the chilies are finely chopped.
Do not be concerned if the chili seeds remain whole.
Combine the chili and vinegar mixture with the remaining vinegar, and all other ingredients, in a small stainless steel saucepan (take care adding the salt- you can always add more later if you wish).
Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil briefly, then reduce temperature to allow the mixture to simmer gently until the chilies and sultanas are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
When cool, puree until almost smooth.
Pour into a suitably sized sterilised bottle and seal.

And one day I'm going to try this one by Aidy, one of our original member who is big on chillies too!    ;) ;)

Aidy's Firecracker Sauce

40 Firecracker Piquin chillies (chopped)
10 Red Jalapeno chillies (chopped)
10Green Jalapeno chillies (chopped)
2 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp  Garlic powder
3 Tsp Onion powder
2 Tsp Paprika
1 Green Bell pepper (chopped)
Juice and zest of two limes
30 good size sprigs of Lemon Thyme (leaves only)
1Tblsp olive oil
6 Tblsp red wine vinegar
2 Tblsp sugar
680g tomato ketchup
1 tin of plumb tomatoes
Gently fry the chillies for two minutes, add the tomato's and other ingredients and simmer for 20 mins. Using a blender or hand blender whizz everything up until smooth, continue to simmer for another 30 minutes. Sterilize bottles and then fill with sauce.
This is a pretty hot sauce but has loads of flavour, I use old ketchup bottles.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 09:57 »
Watch for splatter and steam if using a stick blender on really hot sauces. A food processor may be safer.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 13:22 »
Good idea!  It's not often I need to blend though.

jambop

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 18:55 »
Thanks for the recipes they look good also... so having plenty of Jalapenos and scotch bonnets as well as some nice sweet red peppers I am going to fashion something similar to these two above.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 21:18 »
Thanks for posting the recipes I will be having a go at making some of that good looking sauce.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 17:00 »
The Thai sweet chilli is my favourite, and also everyone else who have been given jars over the years! LOL  And of course, the hotter the chilli, the hotter the sauce!   So mine won't be very hot this year!    ::) :wacko: ???

xx
Scotch bonnet chillies

Started by Jasper1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 22:28
by GrannieAnnie
xx
This is not a scotch bonnet!

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 07, 2018, 09:56
by Nobbie
clip
Is this a Scotch Bonnet chilli?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2020, 15:41
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
How to sow scotch bonnet seeds.

Started by nemie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 19:48
by nemie

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 39 queries.