Salsify - the recipe...

• 18 Replies

Growster...

Salsify - the recipe...
« on: September 29, 2012, 18:15 »
Mrs Growster has demanded that we publish the details of our new secret weapon - salsify slaw...

Simple really, just take an ordinary salsify root, shave off the twiddly bits, clean off the brown outer skin, leaving as much flesh as possible, cut into large chunks and pop it in some lemon-juiced water to keep it fairly white.

Take a bowl, and grate the chunks of salsify (we use a Mouli grater) into it very quickly, then add some ordinary mayonnaise.

Chuck in a small handfull of flaked almonds and a few sultanas as well.

Mix the whole lot up and prepare for a real treat!

It's got just such a nutty-flavour, and is so crunchy too! I may try it with parsnips, but am not too sure yet, as they're getting nice and bulky, and they have a stronger flavour than salsify, which really is the 'vegetable oyster'!

Well worth a pop in our book...

allotmentann

Re: Salsify - the recipe...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 18:26 »
Sounds good. Would love to try, but my salsify refused to germinate :(

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 18:39 »
Sounds good. Would love to try, but my salsify refused to germinate :(

I'm so sorry about that Ann.

They are really fussy plants to grow, and we had to do a second sowing after only getting 3 to germinats.

The one we used today was a second sowing, and was smaller than the first chap we dug a week or so ago...

If you jump on a bus, get to London, get onto a number 3 to Crystal Palace, then go to Bromley, then T. Wells, then Hawkhurst, we'll dig one up for you to take home, and there'll be a huge drink for you in the meantime!

;0)

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 19:44 »
 :lol: :lol: I will give them another go next year and try several sowings now I know they are a little awkward! :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 19:44 »
Thst's interesting Growster, salsify along with the likes of kohl rabi and scorzonera, I remember from my childhood day looking around the veg plot in the garden at home. 

One day, I might be able to make room for all of these lovely crops in my own plot. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 20:56 »
Thats odd, this year and last year my salsify have grown like weeds, perhaps thats because I did not know they were difficult.  However my carrots were rubbish and I had to start my parsnips off in toilet rolls.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 05:37 »
The second sowing was in paper pots actually. Like parsnips done the same way, you have to be pretty quick to get them in their final positions, otherwise they'll go squonky, and indeed, it seems that most salsify will get a few odd side roots at some stage.

If they're big enough, these bits get chopped up as well of course.

Mrs G admitted that last year, they were just too fiddly to grate up, and she was right there as well...;0(

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06 »
The second sowing was in paper pots actually. Like parsnips done the same way, you have to be pretty quick to get them in their final positions, otherwise they'll go squonky, and indeed, it seems that most salsify will get a few odd side roots at some stage.

Mrs G admitted that last year, they were just too fiddly to grate up, and she was right there as well...;0(

Squonky is a horticultural term ! have not come across before, :lol: The RHS have sadly neglected to define it. Perhaps you should inform them of this oversight and ask that it be included in their glossary of gardening terms in future :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 14:06 »
Yes indeed Growster, if I do not get my parsnips in quickly they do go Squonky, and the salsify have side roots.  I like them but they do go black and look very unatractive

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 14:49 »
Hi Sandy after reading your comments I wonder if I perhaps had a poor batch of seed. I really do want to try growing this again. Perhaps I will have to nurse them a little better! :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 15:30 »
Hi Ann,

My seeds this year were just the left over from last year that I thew in just as a filler when I took my first onions out.  I cannot grow carrots or cauliflower and the parsnips will not germinate in the ground, however it may be that they like my clay soil.

allotmentann

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 15:46 »
Perhaps that is the answer, I tried starting mine in pots. Will try some direct in my clay soil next year as well :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 16:07 »
Fingers crossed for you

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:41 »

Squonky is a horticultural term ! have not come across before, :lol: The RHS have sadly neglected to define it. Perhaps you should inform them of this oversight and ask that it be included in their glossary of gardening terms in future :)

Ha ha ha Ann!

It really comes from a favourite old song here: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squonk_(song)#Squonk

...and seems to fit for no other reason that I can't think of another word to describe a veg which has tiny roots going off in all directions...;0)

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 05:44 »
Yes indeed Growster, if I do not get my parsnips in quickly they do go Squonky, and the salsify have side roots.  I like them but they do go black and look very unatractive

If you can get them into a bowl with a few drops of lemon juice immediately after shaving them, Lilac, they don't go beyond a beige colour, which is actually not unpleasant to look at.

You usually get about three seconds, so you need to be pretty quick...;0)

xx
Salsify

Started by mashauk on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 18:13
by WG.
xx
How to Cook Salsify

Started by John on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 09:45
by muntjac
xx
Salsify slaw...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 08:07
by Growster...
xx
Cooking salsify and schortzerina

Started by harvestmoon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 14:39
by harvestmoon

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 39 queries.