What kind of hybrid?

• 29 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
What kind of hybrid?
« on: April 29, 2010, 14:28 »
Ok, so I've done a bit of research and found a place nearby(ish) who sell poultry - rather than the market or garden centre options - I've just spoken to a lady on the phone who says I can go and visit and see the birds so I'm hoping to go on saturday. Not to buy any yet as I haven't built my hen house or run yet, but just to have a look and to handle some of the birds.

So, she says they have 7 different sorts of Hybrids!! :blink: Seeing as I only want 3 birds max, I'm going to be a little spoilt for choice. I want the hens primarily for their eggs but they need to be quite laid back as I have a year old springer collie x who I know will be hyper to begin with, and I have a young nephew who visits frequently. I don't know the specific breeds they have there yet, but the more I read the more confused I'm getting anyway - and may be once I go and see them I will have more of an idea anyway but I just wondered about people's personal experiences... any recommendations to go for eventually?

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Re: What kind of hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 16:16 »
My 3 most layed back hybrids must be 1) Sussex Star, 2) Blackrock and 3) Bluebelle, or blue ranger as some breeders call them.
Most hybrids are pretty layed back i think really.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 16:57 »
Great, that's useful to know! Obviously with not knowing what she has its a bit difficult to comment but just getting familiar with the names of some of the chickens is useful - there seems to be so many! The Sussex star lay white eggs, don't they? Didn't think about egg colour but since I've been reading I like the idea of different coloured eggs - think my nephew would love that too!

Have ordered some stuff off the internet today - medicine, grit, anti red mite stuff... feel like I am getting there slowly!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 16:58 »
Ive just got some girlies, out of the 3 of them im so impressed by the Amber Star and the Speckledy, very, very laid back girlies, ive got a border collie whos only a pup and runs riot round the garden, they dont seem spooked by him atall and i have 2 youngsters at 6 and 3 and there fine with them.   Good luck i just hope you have the strength to walk away with 3, its like being in a sweet shop.   nickyxx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Ribbit

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 18:56 »
My Amber star is really lovely and not easily scared! She is very bouncy and by that I mean bouncy!
It's like America...But south!

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 19:04 »
My Amber star is really lovely and not easily scared! She is very bouncy and by that I mean bouncy!
Ooh I just looked at some google images of 'Amber stars' and they look gorgeous!

Good luck i just hope you have the strength to walk away with 3, its like being in a sweet shop.   nickyxx

Ha ha - so do I! Think it helps that I will have some thinking space between my visit and deciding which ones to go for. There is only me, so I can't justify needing the eggs!

Ribbit

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 19:08 »
This is my one, May

Ribbit

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 19:16 »
here she is!
chickens 018mayresize.jpg

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 20:46 »
Out of my 6 hybrids, the two most friendly (and the ones my 3 yr old carries around-one under each arm)  are the Amberlink and the warren type (little red hen).
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 22:23 »
Ooh I just looked at some google images of 'Amber stars' and they look gorgeous!

Good luck i just hope you have the strength to walk away with 3, its like being in a sweet shop.   nickyxx

Ha ha - so do I! Think it helps that I will have some thinking space between my visit and deciding which ones to go for. There is only me, so I can't justify needing the eggs!

you could take up cake making :D :D :D :D

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 23:11 »
Ribbit - May looks lovely!

Ooh, now, nicky d, I actually do like to bake... but no, must be strong and resist! :unsure: 3 seems a nice number - was only going to be two originally, but I think 3 seems nicer.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 23:43 »
3 is better as they are flock birds.  Of all the hybrids I've raised, the white amberlink (same thing as Amber star) are the flightiest or bouncy as Ribbit says.  But they are all friendly.  I think the most laid back I've ever raised are the B380 Babcocks, but the prettiest apart from the ambers are the Bluebelles, the CouCou (darker brown eggs) black rocks and we had a black pearl, but she died recently.

Then there is the one that is part legbar which lays blue eggs.
Amberlinks.jpg
Babcock.jpg
Black Rock and Black Pearl.jpg
Bluebelle.jpg

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 23:44 »
and not forgetting.....
CouCou.jpg

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 08:02 »
My skyline is a hybrid that lays blue eggs.

UrbanG

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 09:28 »
Attached is a picture of my 2 hybrids.
When we got them they were basically classed by colour (IE: White hybrid, black hybrid, blue hybrid, amber hybrid)

'At the time' I was not aware the different mixes had there own seperate names.

My memory is not that great but I think I recall the breeder saying they were:
White: RIR / Light Sussex
Black: RIR / Barred rock

BUt looking at the Bluebelle picture above I think my 'black'one may be a blue one?  :blink:

Anyway, the black one is great, very friendly, loves being handled and very placid. The white one is a bit more nervious and a bit more reluctant to be petted and is a bit noisey! Grrrrh
S&S.jpg
1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

xx
Thought I'd be kind...

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 15:17
by wildwitchy
xx
What Kind of Chick is This, Please?

Started by LittleRedHen on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 09:03
by GrannieAnnie
xx
My hybrid hen is broody ??

Started by orionsquare on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 23:14
by storme37
xx
guess the hybrid quiz !

Started by threeranger on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 10:49
by joyfull

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 39 queries.