Warre Hive Pictures - swarm wanted

• 3 Replies

Swing Swang

Warre Hive Pictures - swarm wanted
« on: May 09, 2012, 15:18 »
As someone else on this forum is/was in the process of making hives, the Warre hives that I built over the weekend are pictured below.

Now I just need to find some bees. I've two locations that I can use, so I'll bait them in anticipation. Not holding out much hope this year with all the weather, but fingers crossed. If anyone close to Basingstoke has a surplus swarm going then please PM me.

Technical details - all made from PSE pine and ripped to size with a circular saw and a mitre saw - all cuts left 'rough'. Very few tools required - pencil, ruler, square, tape measure, screwdriver, electric drill etc. Painted in linseed oil and beeswax. Warre's design modified slightly so as to use locally/commercially available dimensions of timber, however the 'critical' internal dimensions retained (300mmX300mm). All timber 20mm thick, except for the main boxes (sump and supers) which are made from 27mm thick boards. The base is of my own design - a 'sump' rather than a flat floor seems to be useful in varroa control - the left hand hive is back to front and shows a 'drawer' in the sump so that varroa mites can be counted without disturbing the hive. it is also deep enough to allow for internal inspection with a mirror if I'm so inclined. The entrance can be restriced as appropriate (not shown). No landing board for ease of transport. The box below the roof is the quilt which has yet to be 'upholstered'.

SS
Warre Hives 01 SMALL.jpg
Warre Hives 02 SMALL.jpg

Oliveview

Re: Warre Hive Pictures - swarm wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 19:23 »
I know nothing about bee keeping, but the hives look good to me

Pamela
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 22:11 by Aunt Sally »

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 14:00 »
The hives looks nice :)

I have a load of featherboard leftover could I use it to make a bee hive or do they need to be pine and timber? I cant see them being that picky in the wild but just wondered if you knew.

Good luck finding a swarm. I would check out gumtree and farmingads.co.uk

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 21:57 »
My guess is that the featherboard will be a softwood - redwood/larch/pine - In which case if's untreated then it will be fine to use, if it's been tannalised/treated etc then I wouldn't risk it.

xx
Swarm Wanted

Started by Swing Swang on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 15:32
by Swing Swang
xx
Woo-hoo trapped a swarm!

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 00:22
by drypulse
clip
May Swarm (lots of photos)

14 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 11:27
by barley
xx
My new Bee Hive:)

Started by Guzzik on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 23:17
by Guzzik

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.