The morning ritual

• 7 Replies

evie2

The morning ritual
« on: April 11, 2014, 19:17 »
Inspired by Lardmans 'want a nap on the sofa' thread, I thought I'd share this ;)

None of my dogs have been allowed on the sofa, the bed or upstairs, however OH comes from a very different background ::) where this is acceptable behaviour.  Because of Mists toilet issues earlier this year we decided to try the dogs upstairs so she could tell us when she needed out and it's worked a treat :D  No more 'accidents' to deal with in the morning :D  This morning at 5.30 I witnessed their morning ritual.  Mist woke, did a few yoga moves, mainly the lion and cobra, she then woke Pip, who being a normal teenage lad, falls back to sleep with his paw over his eyes; very reminiscent of our Ali ;)  Not being put off by his reluctance to greet the morning bright eyed and bushy tailed, Mist pinned him down and washed his face, bit his ear and with an encouraging yank ;) got him out of bed :D  He had a scratch, yawn, shake and sat down eyes closed ::)  Undeterred, Mist, tail going nineteen to the dozen, spied OHs hand, I can see what's coming, so with a firm point of my finger, no words needed, off she plodded, tail still wagging albeit less enthusiastically to bed, Pip was already back asleep ::)

So what's your pets morning ritual?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

maxyboo

Re: The morning ritual
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 19:23 »
I have 2 cats who spend the night where our feet should be. At some point, Henry the older one, will decide he wants us to get up probably because he wants breakfast. He wakes us by chewing on his sister Alice who starts squealing then we have them both running over and under the bed until we are fully awake. If we try and ignore it he starts making whining noises. It's a good job we love them.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 19:30 »
My cat sleeps the greater part of the night in a box high up on the wall above our bed.  I know when she has decided to leave the warm patch on the sofa and settle in by the gentle rhythmic snore.  Syncopates with OH beautifully.  Not that he snores, obviously!  :nowink:

About 5.30 she gets up, slithers down to OH's bedside table and marches across him.  Being a normal 50something year old he doesn't notice.  She then greets me YOWL! and  settles on my chest/hip/whatever bit is comfy and waits .... paws tucked under.

Alarm goes at six and OH rolls out, does the necessary and makes coffee and puts her breakfast out.  As soon as she hears knife on plate, I'm kicked in the bladder and deserted.  You can imagine the rest!   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 20:27 »
Max sleeps in an armchair in the back room at night - I regularly pass through on my way to the kettle at all sorts of strange times of the night. As a result he doesn't get up unless he's sure its actually morning. He'll stay asleep with one eye open until I speak to him. The morning begins with yoga, first the cobra then the lion, but with front feet on the floor and back on the chair, it's then down into the frog and crawl to the door; by now I'm usually sitting down in the front room. Theres a very deep shaggy rug in there (don't ask) which he will then proceed to grind his head and nose into, quickly followed by a judo roll and a back wiggles accompanied by a gnawing noise, when he's rolled around enough so the rug is half way up the wall, he'll do the ear flap then a full body shake. After all of that the day may begin - at not a moment sooner.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 21:03 »
Our home routine is much simpler: soon as I make a move in the morning, dog darts out of her bed in the next room and tries to find my hand for a pat, and maybe any 'leftover' food  :D  As if I eat in bed through the night or something. Soon as dog comes over, cat races into the room (she's just been snacking) and vies for petting attention. When I finally get out of bed, I have to try to focus enough not to fall over either one of them basically wrapped around my feet.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 04:25 »
I am an early riser, but never early enough for the starving dogs. I can get up any amount in the night and they don't stir, but put slippers, glasses or dressing gown on and that is the signal for breakfast, no matter what time. But you can't get up quietly because we have a labrador, and we all know that labrador tails could knock walls down when excitement sets in.

So as soon as you sit up you can feel two sets of eyes watching. Touch the glasses and the feet start paddling on the wooden floor and the tail bangs on bed, open door, bathroom door. Still dancing. Then "If I trip mum up I might get breakfast quicker", Mum trips on soft lab then wiry mongrel before making it to the loo while lab tries to split her tail on the door. By this time there is no point trying to be quiet so light on while OH hides under duvet and mongrel clatters down stairs, followed by me being pushed by arthritic labrador. Quick dash outside then straight back in as OH will have let them out during the night so they don't need a wee. Then lash Mum with tail...painfully...and plead to be fed as wasting away. Meanwhile mongrel dashes upstairs to jump on Dad and see if he's awake. Make coffee, switch on computer and feed before dogs die of starvation. Switch on halogen heater in an attempt to stop mongrel dashing upstairs to jump on Dad to tell him that she needs to go out and patrol the village to see which street dogs she can find to cosy up to. Lab sits and stares at stairs waiting for Dad to appear, sometimes hours later.

Totally indulged and very lucky dogs.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 11:33 »
Daphne sometimes comes up on the bed at about 5 am and lies on my tummy for a while. I can tell it's her because she isn't a light-weight! If she isn't around at that time, Amber often gets on the bed, walks up to my face and gently pats it with her paw - as soon as I say something, she is satisfied that I have survived the night and will either snuggle down by my side or attempt to get under the duvet.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 09:53 »
Harley the flatcoat sleeps on the bed and will get off (for ablutions) and back on several times during the night. Harley the border terrier is very good, he stays in his bed usually all night.

If either of us stir, Harley's tail starts banging on the bed and we may get licked several times. This then wakes Brodie who does a few yoga moves then 'frogs' around the bedroom and under the bed. Harley will then join in and they both start playing, this involves Harley leaping on and off the bed. When they're sure we're both wide awake, Brodie jumps up and snuggles in with OH and cleans his ears, Harley usually lands on my chest with a thump and proceeds to lick my face amid much squealing.

Must be breakfast time then... they both clatter down the stairs and break into the kitchen 'cos they're STARVING!!!!!  :D
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

xx
Nice morning

Started by Spana on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 17:54
by Foxy
xx
Good morning kitties!

Started by janet12000 on Pets without Feathers

20 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 20:42
by janet12000
xx
Mili caught her first rat this morning

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 12:58
by Oliveview
xx
Is it just our Mili that is naughty first thing in the morning?

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 17:23
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 33 queries.