Raspberry food

• 7 Replies

MoreWhisky

Raspberry food
« on: May 08, 2009, 19:16 »
My 2 of my 4 raspberry canes are doing and looking very poor , any top tips for giving them a feed/boost?

Wish i bought more now  :( is it also to late to buy and put some more in?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: Raspberry food
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 19:31 »
No - see whats around - even the earlies will probably produce something for you late if you plant in now. I've absolutely no idea what varieties I've got, but they have had buds on them since early to mid April - despite cold snaps, and they always grow back with very little help from me. Any idea which ones yours are?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 19:34 »
Hi Barney , yes they are Polka thats all i know about them.

I might go and buy some more early ones on my blueberry bush hunt tomorrow , can u recommend a variety?

Cheers for your reply MW.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 19:36 »
If you think you need to feed them MW, then give them some manure top dressing and a watering. It's faster than manure tea at the moment as its unlikely you'd have any hanging about.  :D

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 19:51 »
Autumn Bliss is quite a late one, but I think the names Glen Clova and Malling Jewel ring a bell with me when I originally bought them. Mine are in a couple of pretty sunny spots (when it shines of course), and the ones in containers did get a bit of muck on top a few weeks ago, which has probably helped too.  Good luck with your blueberrying too. You ought to be able to pick up some ready for flowering at the nurseries :happy:

MoreWhisky

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 21:52 »
Will use some manure then thanks Trillium.

And as for looking for a nice blueberry bush tomorrow barney im actually right looking forward to the hunt  :D

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 23:51 »
Having checked my set of trusty 'grow your own' magazines bought in the 70's it is possible that you have a water shortage. (you don't seem to suggest pests and diseases) The roots are very close to the surface and are affected by periods of dry spells. (which we have had)  Do not hoe and only hand weed. Water thoroughly and then add the manure mulch at the rate of 5lbs/sq yd.
There is no mention of food. Just manure/compost/leafmould that sort of thing. When they are fruiting they should have the usual phosphate feed.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 13:44 »
Regular watering in dry weather helps (wind is blowing up a drought here).  I mulch mine over the winter with good compost every year.

Also I give them chicken pellets once a month in the growing season and if they look not to green at the start of the season I use either seaweed or Epsom salts (good for all the trace elements that are missing).

xx
York Free Food ! "ornamental" raspberry but what?

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 19:28
by agapanthus
clip
RASPBERRY

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2023, 09:11
by mumofstig
clip
Get rid of Raspberry bed ... please !

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 27, 2018, 09:07
by sunshineband
xx
raspberry

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 13:51
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 32 queries.