Courgette plants. Traditional green courgettes and the "newer" yellow fruits

• 21 Replies

Snoop

Since then I've tried Floridor F1 and Jemmer F1 and both have exceeded any green ones I've ever grown before (and my experience is that zucchini are not that productive).

Crumbs! My impression was that people on this forum find courgettes a bit too much of a good thing sometimes. How productive is your other stuff?

snowdrops

I've found in the past that the yellows have been less productive so have changed varieties to see if that works. This year I am growing Atena and those plants are producing the same number as the green ones so far  :).

I grew Atena last year, think I might have got 1 this as well
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

BabbyAnn

Since then I've tried Floridor F1 and Jemmer F1 and both have exceeded any green ones I've ever grown before (and my experience is that zucchini are not that productive).

Crumbs! My impression was that people on this forum find courgettes a bit too much of a good thing sometimes. How productive is your other stuff?

I'm not sure what you mean  :wacko:  If you mean comparing green to the yellow, I found those 2 varieties I mentioned to be very productive whereas the variety labelled "zucchini" is open pollinated  (not an F1) and was the least productive.  As to whether it is a bit too much of a good thing, any surplus goes to the chickens ...  ;)

Snoop

I'm not sure what you mean  :wacko:  If you mean comparing green to the yellow, I found those 2 varieties I mentioned to be very productive whereas the variety labelled "zucchini" is open pollinated  (not an F1) and was the least productive.  As to whether it is a bit too much of a good thing, any surplus goes to the chickens ...  ;)

Sorry. I didn't know there was a particular variety called zucchini, I thought it was just another name for courgettes.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Had to laugh at THIS explanation of the difference between zucchini and courgettes - I'm absolutely none the wiser, and that's without complicating matters by mentioning a courgette variety which just happens to be called 'Zucchini'!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaydig

Zucchini is just the Italian word for courgettes, unless someone was lost for inspiration, and used it to name a variety.  This year I've grown two new (to me) ones, Bianca Trieste, and Chiara di Nice, one of which is the normal shape, and the other is a round one. Both are very pale green, and both are prolific.  The round ones are particulary good for stuffing.  My yellow 'Soleil', have sulked for a while, but are producing some fruit now, but nowhere near as many as the others.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
I have found the key to growing courgettes is soil and spacing. I grew them in pots before I got the allotment and in the garden  - but these were nowhere near as productive as the allotment ones. I dig a hole 12" by 12" by 12" Stick in a 3" drain pipe to water through- pour a cheap grow bag in the hole - add back the soil to make a small mound .  Cover with black weed membrane - space them a good 1 metre apart. Plant a seedling in a peat pot. They then are slow to start until recovered from transplanting  - then they go mad. The yellow one ( Atena ) crop first - had about 10 from two plants - green ones - Tuscany a bit slower - had about 5. Just started watering and feeding down the drain pipes.

xx
yellow flowered "strawberry"

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 18, 2012, 18:30
by allotmentann
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
"Digging" in green manures

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 21:17
by M0rph3u5
xx
Aminopyralid - plants it "doesn't" affect - from Dow

Started by Brixton Crack Squirrel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 16:11
by Oscar Too

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 33 queries.