Courgette plants. Traditional green courgettes and the "newer" yellow fruits

• 21 Replies

swaine

Last year I planted green courgettes (All Green Bush) and a yellow F1 variety (Orelia).  The green courgettes cropped well. The yellow ones produced lots of 30mm long fruits, which didn't get any bigger and then rotted. I just assumed it was one of those things that goes wrong from time to time.

I tried a different yellow F1 this year (Sunstripe ). The same thing has happened again. The green courgettes are cropping well. The yellow F1 courgettes are producing lots of 20 to 30mm long fruits which don't grow further, and then wither away.

All the plants have been sown, raised, hardened off and planted in the same way, and in the same place.

Is anyone else having the same problem or know a solution?

hamstergbert

Not being polinated, most likely - they need lurve!

Try grabbing some of the male flowers and introduce them to the female flowers,   helping nature along a little, see if that helps.

I have in the past had the experience of finding that my yellows (think they were goldrush though but not sure)  needed encouragement to get started more than the bog standard greens although I think they eventually did get the hang of it once the pollinator insect work to rule ended.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
I always liked the look of yellow courgettes but I tend to stay away from F1's. Am growing golden zucchini this year and it is doing well  ??? Have a go at hand pollinating and see if it helps.

AnneB

I have found that yellow courgettes are less productive than green ones in terms of numbers of courgettes.  I haven't had any yet this year as cold and wind decimated my first attempts.   Second ones still not cropping yet.

I have tried Jemmer, an F1 in the past, but it didn't do nearly as well as an un-named variety given to me as surplus by a friend.   This year I am having a go at a summer squash, so not strictly a courgette, called Summer Sun.   

madcat

I find it varies - this year the yellow ones (Atena) are really going for it.  The green ones (all green bush) are doing fine but I'm drowning in yellow.   :D  I guess that goes with the pollination theory .... they are grown at close quarters with squashes and cucumbers (heaven knows what the seeds would produce!) so there are lots of pollinators close by.  Last year it was the green ones that went to marrows in a blink and the yellows paced themselves for the whole season.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Hampshire Hog

I have found yellow courgettes to be slow in the past so only sowed green this year. They are pumping out courgettes as I write this!

Cheers HH
Keep digging

snowdrops

Here's pictures I took today

And

Doesn't seem that much difference to me,nor have I noticed any difference in other years
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

oldgrunge

Isn't gardening wonderful? My experience is that the yellows are much more productive, at least the one I grow is! Try the variety " Taxi", it's an absolute triffid. By mid August you'll be standing up to your knees in yellow courgettes fighting it back with a stick! 😆😆😆
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

snowdrops

Isn't gardening wonderful? My experience is that the yellows are much more productive, at least the one I grow is! Try the variety " Taxi", it's an absolute triffid. By mid August you'll be standing up to your knees in yellow courgettes fighting it back with a stick! 😆😆😆

:lol:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
The only yellow one I have tried to grow was a Which? test one and it did just the same as Swaine's, I didn't a single proper sized one.  I don't know the variety, but I avoid all yellow ones now.
Anne

nannytroll

I've got yellow "marrows"  ;) only took my eye off them for a couple of days............

Flowertot

I've found in the past that the yellows have been less productive so have changed varieties to see if that works. This year I am growing Atena and those plants are producing the same number as the green ones so far  :).

Snoop

I grow both green (Black Beauty) and yellow (Soleil). They are both very good. The BBs develop much more quickly after pollination but the Soleil courgettes retain a crisp texture on the plant for longer and the flavour is outstanding. As I try and pick the BBs when they're relatively small to ensure the plant keeps producing and to get fruit with a good crunch, the overall weight-for-weight productivity is probably the same.

compostqueen

Both of mine do fine and I don't do any hand pollinating at all.  I do put them in manure at planting time and that's it

Don't water the flowers

I love growing the yeller uns as I use those in cakes and muffins. Folks think its carrot or lemon and chomp away  :tongue2:

BabbyAnn

The first time I grew a yellow courgette, I tried Gold Rush and was very disappointed but the weather then was very wet and cool.  Since then I've tried Floridor F1 and Jemmer F1 and both have exceeded any green ones I've ever grown before (and my experience is that zucchini are not that productive).  The trick after ensuring the soil is very fertile, is to make sure there are plenty of nearby flowering squashes including pumpkins so that pollinating insects (I have loads of bumble bees visit my plot) are likely to visit them all.  If you grow more enticing flowers such as lavender, the bees have a habit of ignoring the squash ....

xx
yellow flowered "strawberry"

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 18, 2012, 18:30
by allotmentann
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
"Digging" in green manures

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 21:17
by M0rph3u5
xx
Aminopyralid - plants it "doesn't" affect - from Dow

Started by Brixton Crack Squirrel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 16:11
by Oscar Too

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 33 queries.