nougat torronne

• 16 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

nougat torronne
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:14 »
Anyone made it? Plan to have a go and give to people with biscotti & pinot noir or coffee, kinda Italian theme I was thinking.
Only problem is i don't have a sugar thermometer - will it just turn to marshmallow if it's too cold, or nut brittle if it's too hot - not that either would be a problem - just not quite nougat!

willowman

• Experienced Member
Re: nougat torronne
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:20 »
Sounds like this would pull out my fillings and crowns!!!
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:47 »
You could try Sienna cake aka paneforte which is similar, but, because it includes chocolate may be a bit more forgiving if the sugar/honey syrup isn't quite right?

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28 »
You could try Sienna cake aka paneforte which is similar, but, because it includes chocolate may be a bit more forgiving if the sugar/honey syrup isn't quite right?

Oooohh that looks yummy too - haven't got any fruit though, I'll give the torronne a go anyway and just see what happens, thanks mum!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:31 »
Good luck!

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 12:10 »
Just finished shelling the cob nuts....... this could be an all day event  :)

catllar

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 15:52 »
There are many varieties of Spanish turron from soft and grainy like marzipan (turron de jijona) through to crisp and brittle (turron de Alicante), so whatever you wind up with you can say it's turron. (Me? I buy mine in the supermarket!) I love both the dry and crisp and the soft one in equal measure.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 17:17 »
Thanks Catllar!
The stuff left burnt to the bottom of the pan is about right :happy: I've nuked it in the microwave so can safely say the dish contains all varieties of turron from squidgy to break your filling - which is what I did when I was 10 at my nans and she gave me some to try!
It's hopefully setting now, so we'll see what a night in the fridge does for it.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 21:27 »
Thanks Catllar!
The stuff left burnt to the bottom of the pan is about right :happy: I've nuked it in the microwave so can safely say the dish contains all varieties of turron from squidgy to break your filling - which is what I did when I was 10 at my nans and she gave me some to try!
It's hopefully setting now, so we'll see what a night in the fridge does for it.

21.25 - I feel sick............had to test some............ top layer is squidgy, bottom layer harder, either way it goes rock hard when mixed with ice cream,  yum!!

catllar

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 18:31 »
So now we have a new turron - turrones de berkshire -  Hooray! :tongue2:

elibump

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 16:13 »
So here I am, reading about your nougat torronne and thinking about making some for crimbo as I eat my healthy jacket potato and homemade coleslaw and....my tooth falls out  :ohmy:, b*gger. :mad:

Should obviously have stuck to nougat and left the healthy option.

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 17:16 »
Poor eli  :ohmy:

My mum's teeth have variously fallen out on a piece of toffee (understandable), a cup of coffee and a bean sprout  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 18:28 »
So here I am, reading about your nougat torronne and thinking about making some for crimbo as I eat my healthy jacket potato and homemade coleslaw and....my tooth falls out  :ohmy:, b*gger. :mad:

I know how that feels!!
Yup I've created turronne de berkshire - it's fab if i say so myself, thank God for microwaves!
Hope the dental bills aren't too big.............

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 08:46 »
Janey if you want a good cheap sugar thermometer for future escapades Harrod Horticulture do a good one - here's a link  http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/category/Making_Jam%2C_Preserves_and_Chutney/

I got one this year as I tried bottling for the first time and it's a really good buy.  I'd seen them in the shops for loads more  ;) 

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 17:57 »
Thanks New Shoot, might be useful if I make it again - although I like taking chances!!

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.