germination and soil temperatures

• 12 Replies

al78

germination and soil temperatures
« on: April 05, 2013, 22:48 »
I am keen to get the potatoes in asap but looking at the forecast the temperatures are barely getting to about 8C and it has been freezing cold, dull with snow flurries for the last three days, so the soil temperatures are going to be depressed (as am I if this weather keeps up much longer :-)). Roughly what temperature does the soil need to be to give the potatoes a chance to grow and also for things like carrots, leeks and brassica seeds to germinate without rotting in the ground (given that it is supposed to get wetter next week)? I was thinking of having a go at sowing something this weekend or Monday evening but with the latest forecast I'm wondering if it is best to wait until next weekend.

viettaclark

Re: germination and soil temperatures
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 00:59 »
Leeks and all brassicas can be sown in seed trays and put in a cold greenhouse/coldframe/zip-up shelving unit. They don't mind cold and mine are all up from sowing 3/4 weeks ago.
I have done 2 lots of carrots, one under cloche, one in potato sacks covered with fleece. Don't think there's a sign yet but plenty of time to resow. Probably get slugged!
I have also sown some sugarsnaps, Swiss chard, perpetual spinach, parsnips and beetroot straight into beds.
A gamble I know but they're in free-draining soil so might not rot.
My garden is quite protected by trees and high fences so things do well on the whole.
Tomatoes and chillies are happily sprouting away in the livingroom!.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 20:31 »
Soil temperature of 6C is recommended for planting potatoes - assuming a dry day tomorrow, I'll be planting mine  :)

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 23:10 »
An old rule of thumb is to feel the soil with the back of your hand. If it feels cold it's too cold to plant a lot of stuff.

Keep in mind it might feel warm on the surface but an inch down it's a different matter. Been a funny old year so far. Bit like the last one and the one before that and....

Stree

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 00:06 »
my volunteer spuds are a healthy 2 to 3 inches, so I reckon its warm enough here.........

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:03 »
One sure way of testing if the soil is warm enough to sow. Do as the farmers on the Fens have always done. Drop your trousers and sit on the soil. If you can sit there comfortably it is ready to sow.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:05 by Salmo »

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 16:00 »
Due to ill-health, plus a nasty cold and harsh easterly winds, I haven't been out in my garden at all! Apart from the ornamental parts, I need to weed my raised beds, plus greenhouse cleaning and bed, then layer compost on it all. It has been sooo cold here, that I am kind of glad that I have resisted sowing anything, even in my greenhouse. They will catch up in time, though the crop may be later - as long as I get some. :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

al78

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 00:01 »
Thanks for the advice. I put the potatoes in this evening, was rushing a little against the rapidly fading daylight. The soil felt cool but not cold so decided to go for it. It is forecast to get milder and possibly warm by the weekend with frost free nights so that should help the soil to warm up a bit more. I'll try sowing some seeds direct outdoors over the weekend. Feels good to have finally got something in the ground at last.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:32 »
Forecast for this area is 18 degrees on Sunday and a minimum of 10 degrees overnight. Looks like Spring has sprung at last :D :D :D :D :D :D

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:59 »
Let the sowing commence. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 13:24 »
Forecast for this area is 18 degrees on Sunday and a minimum of 10 degrees overnight. Looks like Spring has sprung at last.

Sure that's not 18 deg F,  rather than 18 deg C  ;)
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 17:18 »
Usually, if a rash of annual weed seedlings starts appearing, then the soil is warm enough for carrots etc. So far, hardly any weeds on my plot, so I'm holding off a bit longer.
Rachael

xx
germination temperatures

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 20:14
by mumofstig
xx
Seeding / germination soil

Started by businessmonkey9 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 03, 2020, 22:58
by jezza
xx
Greenhouse Temperatures

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 21:10
by solway cropper
xx
Courgette temperatures

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2023, 18:16
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 37 queries.