Christmas potatoes and blight

• 3 Replies

loobyluce

Christmas potatoes and blight
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:18 »
Hi. I'm a newby. Joined with a particular question. I'm in my first year with an allotment and reaping the rewards of lots of hard work  :D I have some Christmas spuds (kestrel) chitting but am concerned about putting them in yet and risk an attack of blight. Should I wait till the risk has passed (when is that likely to be? I'm in Manchester) or just get them going and cross my fingers. I'm not keen on chemicals and would like to avoid spraying. Also would it be better to stick them in tree pots to be brought into the green house at some point, or stick them in the ground? And ALSO  :wub: if I'm putting them in the ground where in my rotation should they go? In this year's spud bed or next year's (with some more muck?)? Sorry for all the questions but I can't find a straight answer on the net. Sites that advise me to use pots always seem to be selling them!  :dry:

Trillium

Re: Christmas potatoes and blight
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 14:46 »
You can read through this thread and look for possible warnings in your general area and you'll know if it will be a problem:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=58510.0

As for how to plant them, it all depends on when you get first frost in your area. Short term potatoes need at least 2 months, sometimes up to 3 depending on weather. If you hope to literally dig them up for Christmas then I'd advise some sort of pot setup that you'd bring into the greenhouse. The tops won't die from frost in there but growth will slow down due to the cold, yet you'd still get a yield if planted around September.
If you want to plant them now, then listen for frost warnings and cover plant tops nightly with fleece. As for which bed in rotation, you could still use this year's bed with a bit more muck so that next year's beds are clear and ready for full rotation.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 15:56 »
most people plant their Christmas spuds during August, and agree that they are better planted in pots in case we have an early cold spell   :)

loobyluce

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 20:15 »
Thanks Trillium and Mumofstig! Good advice that I'll take.  :)

xx
Christmas potatoes

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 21:46
by Thephoenix572
xx
Christmas potatoes....?

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 15:14
by harry
xx
Christmas Potatoes

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2010, 10:09
by DD.
xx
Christmas new potatoes...

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 10:43
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 39 queries.