Ex-batts vs Partridge chickens...advice please

• 4 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Ex-batts vs Partridge chickens...advice please
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:33 »
Hi all, I'm new to this whole chicken keeping malarkey, but am VERY excited at getting 3 ex-battery girls on 22nd AAugust. Problem is, there's a pub closing down by me, and they keep chickens (very badly, poor things) and they desperately need them all rehomed by next Sunday. I have the space for a couple, but I dont know if my ex-batts will be very happy at having to move in with an already established group. Anyone got any advice on whether I should take the chickens on Sunday or just leave them to someone else, as the ex-batts are my main concern at the moment. Thanks in advance, Carla xxx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Jeanette

Re: Ex-batts vs Partridge chickens...advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:55 »
With ex bats i find it is best if they are on their own. Because of the life they have had they can be weak on their legs and they will need some TLC they have been use to fighting for food and water so will not take well to others. You should also quarantine any other chickens that you get so that no germs or illness can be past on.
Good luck with your girls, they will soon turn into beautiful girls and once they get use to you they are very friendly and will soon be following you around. I would not be without my ex bats. Sorry i forgot to say welcome to the site. :)

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 17:01 »
Hi,

I put my ex batts in a seperate part of the coop to my excisting flock but they all escaped over anyway and no major arguments broke out...then again my original ex batts are used to the coming and going of chickens and that may be the reason why. If you were going to both chickens, I would get them at the same time, then they are all in the same boat as it were :)

Welcome to the forums by the way :)
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 18:04 »
I phoned the BHWT earlier, and they advised that I could take the 2 groups on, but to seperate them during the day, but so they can still see each other. Also, depending on how 'healthy' my ex batts are, they might not be able to co-habit with well chickens for up to 2 months. Saying that, I REALLY want to help these pub chickens, and partridge hens are supposed to be gentle, so I might just get the 2, and see how it goes. I can see me having an ex-batt coop and a posh chicken coop....much to 'the blokes' annoyance :) My coop doesnt arrive until Tuesday, so they'll have to live in the shed for 2 days, but I'm sure they'll cope. I only went in for a crafty pint and ended up with a moral dilemma!!! Drinking IS bad for you ;)
And thanks for the warm welcome xx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 18:07 »
Drinking may be bad for you but you've soon learnt that chickens are very addictive (and you seem to have become addicted before even getting any  ::)  :lol:)
Welcome to the mad world of chickens and the even madder keepers  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Spanish White Faced & Green legged Partridge Chickens Update

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2013, 00:02
by ANHBUC
xx
Will my ex batts know how to be chickens?!

Started by hillbilly on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 18:29
by hillbilly
xx
Ex. batts advice please.

Started by Siouxfly on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 16:42
by Siouxfly
xx
ex batts advice - help!

Started by Eleababe on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 15:07
by Roll Roll

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.