What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2020, 18:40 »
Today we dug over 1/6 of what is left in the plot while playing hunt the 'tayto. We filled about 2 & 1/2 Litre pots, we'll chit these and replant them. Some are already growing. We put in 3 potted rhubarbs that were going into the garden here. But since thefts at the plot will increase we decided to plant them up there and put something else in the garden. Husband watered what is already in and didn't bicker at all.

Think the later was the most impressive thing.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2020, 18:44 »
Spuds and onion sets now in. Cleared buttercup-infested strawberry bed. Fed mealworms to robins and fat balls to tits. Drank tea in the sunshine with my wife.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2020, 19:00 »
Planted up 4 bags with potatoes at home. Planning to plant more in a few days but holding back as it could be cool at night next week.
Stay safe HH
Keep digging

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2020, 19:09 »
Sprog came with me to exercise. We sowed some radishes and turnips in the polytunnel and then realised I'd forgotten the shed key so we couldn't get the spades to add more compost to the beds! I hope the weather is as good tomorrow as today so we can get the job done in tomorrow afternoon.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2020, 15:23 »
Not the plot, in the garden, I weeded, planted some narcissus I got on sale for 12p, because perennials, then I trimmed the autumn raspberries from the living point up.
I used the 3 tine cultivator to rip some of the moss out of the front garden up until I got sore. Then after a lie down I have either done some awesome grafting of the old tree scions which have been lying in the fridge until they went all shrivelled, or mutilated the apple tree at the back of the garden with manky cuttings I got in October.

I'm keeping the "scions" or bits that I cut off to graft/further continue my mutilation spree on the tree up the plot and add those two "scions" (off cuts, they are off cuts) and 2 more I shall have to go and take from the parent tree because that tree needs 2 pollination partners and it has none. it's also too far away for bees to pollinate it.

Yesterday I called 2 meters away from 2 pensioner families I know and told them the council are not picking up the green waste or recycling. It's been released online so many pensions who aren't "silver surfers" don't know about it.
I told both families if they kept their grass clippings and fruit/vegetable bits of their green waste we'd get rid of it on our allotment for them. But they had to keep the meat, dairy and fish out of their green waste or we wouldn't be able to take it. I hope they remember.

My seeds I got from Premier seeds are Usain Bolting it. I am rather impressed.

snowdrops

« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2020, 07:51 »
Yesterday I finally got round to distributing all the bags of manure I’d got over the beds at the plot plus finished emptying the last compost bin & did the same, then I turned compost bin 1 in to no.2 layering with fresh manure & Chicken pellets, I even managed to add some of the waste pile from the last bed into bin no.1. Came home at 6.30 rather pooped. Oh & tidied the tea shed so I could stop tripping over stuff. Chicken shed will be more of an effort though lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2020, 12:09 »
More yesterday work.
I treated a community Bramley tree for canker, it's almost ringed and I had to take 4 branches off of it so I have no idea if it'll live, but it has longer that if I left it alone. Half of the trees in the mini orchard have it and most of them, have it on their trunks. But this was the worst. So I'll have to boil the canker blanket and take into more of them once the blisters heal up a bit. In the interim I'll take the loppers and remove the bits on the branches. Must boil the tools.
Today I'm not sure what else I will do, other than put the pink banana squashes into bigger, individual pots. Good job I got the narcissus planted. New pots, right there.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2020, 17:11 »
Double dug the channel tunnel! Well that is what it feels like, knees are hurting, shoulders hurting  but thankfully the back is fine so I must have the technique sorted.
The plot is now way ahead of where it would be in a normal year. Tomorrows job is to lift the remainder of the leeks so I can prep and freeze them.
Just counting the days now until I sow my sowing for most of the autumn stuff.
Beetroots popping up, Celeriac all up, Basil and Asian Basil coming along nicely as is Toms, Cape Goosberry and Tomatillo's.
Planning an easy day tomorrow.
stay safe peeps
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jambop

« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2020, 17:52 »

Well I have been putting some cauliflower and broccoli in. I have also planted up some of my spuds, the weather is going to be a wee bit colder over the next 10 days but they will probably not be through by then. We have been getting some lovely sunny dry weather although not too warm at about 16C so with lock down everyday has been a gardening day recently. I have also made another three 1.5m x 3m raised beds and have been prep'ing the soil in them with manure and compost.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2020, 18:02 »
Sowed various brassicas in plug modules, celeriac & celery in trays and Sunflowers in pots.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2020, 20:32 »
Sowed onion sets and shallots. Did some strimming and mowing until mower started to fall apart.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2020, 12:17 »
Just back from plot where I sowed some broad beans in raised bed.
Pretty cold but not sure if we are still going to be allowed to continue going to plot.
Cheers HH

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2020, 12:40 »
Today I didn't get 6x chicken manure because I didn't realise the restrictions put on the garden centre. Tomorrow.

Today I went past the pensioner neighbours nearby and told them that if they kept their fruit, veg and grass clippings aside, we'd take them and compost them. The council won't lift the green waste so a lot of people aren't sure what to do with this stuff and we're helping in a way that we can. But if there is fish, meat or dairy we're giving it back to them as we don't want rats. It went down well, and it's something we can do, one person said no and all but one person was happy for the offer. They were suspicious. But there is a past history involving a crazy neighbour shouting at us how we weren't allowed to let our children learn to ride their bikes on our own road. Crazy neighbour can sort themselves out.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2020, 19:27 »
Some of the seed potatoes went in today.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2020, 10:38 »
Spent Sat & Sunday mornings digging over one of the old chaps allotments as he is stuck indoors at his daughters. Will have his plot all ship shape and spuds planted for him by next weekend and have started sowing extra seeds as he is not able to that either..

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 54 queries.