What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

Chris929

Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2020, 13:02 »
Went for it and put the potatoes in. Ground was fairly dry - my plot is at the top of a hill and drains very well so doesn't really gather standing water.

Maris peer, rocket, kestrel, markies and maris piper. Will make sure they are earthed up to protect from frosts. Forecasts look nice and dry for the next few weeks too.

jambop

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2020, 13:39 »
Brave man I hope all goes well with them. I probably won't put mine in until sometime in April. We had a bit of a frost last year end of May unusual but it can cause havoc . Living and gardening in France can lull you into a sense of false security  :(

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2020, 16:23 »
Got a full day in  :ohmy: but the ground is still a tad to wet to dig.
Steralised the greenhouses, taken some cuttings from volunteer raspberry plants to root up.
I have sown hurrah, the first tray of beetroot is now underway, first batch of radish and put the celeriac seed in a tray to pre-chit. Transplanted basil seedlings from the germinater. Spring has sprung.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

rowlandwells

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2020, 17:26 »
after a mostly dry day yesterday the ground had started to dry out then it rained quit heavy here overnight and was still raining in the morning when it stopped about mid morning we decided to bring some onion and cauliflower plants that had been overwintering in the greenhouse outside in the cold frame

hadn't been out an hour when down it came again :mad:so i said I'm calling it a day there's always another day when it mite actually be fine for a complete day looks like we going to need plenty to do on the home garden because of the restrictions on the over seventies going out i just hope we can get to the allotments that's a mile away by  car and tractor  :unsure:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2020, 17:44 »
It's been tipping it down most of today, so I got my toms and sweet peppers sown at home. Due to the ground being so wet, I may have to resort to weedkiller this year to clear the beds :(

Robster

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2020, 15:52 »
Late start I guess but today I sowed my first spring onions, lettuce and radish.  Always lovely when we start to eat those early crops.  Watered my germinated Chillies and tomatoes that I potted on recently.  Feels today as if things are starting to move.  Nice to be in the garden and forget all the troubles for a little while

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2020, 19:06 »
Sowed sweet chilies, lettuce and spring onions.

Robster

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2020, 13:41 »
Sowed cucumber and first sowing of courgettes (three varieties) in the incubator today.  These will go into large plastic pots (the big Growmore size) and stay in the green house until the frosts are over.  Sowed dwarf beans these will go out in the allotment when up.  The dwarf beans are easy enough to protect with poly tunnel cloches and fleece if necessary.  All happening now.

MarkC

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2020, 16:45 »
Red Onions went in to join the shallots which were planted about three or four weeks ago (now beginning to show) and the garlic which has been in since November and is about  foot high.

Dug six trenches for potatoes and chucked some chicken manure pellets in them. Will probably plant spuds towards end of the month.

Also dug a trench for asparagus which is a new project.

At the weekend, in a rare dry spell, I put in the 8' support posts to a depth of 2'  for my project of a couple of cordon rows of apple and pear trees - a fruit hedge in time hopefully. The trees will hopefully arrive very soon.

I got the adjoining half plot to mine this year following the sad and sudden death of my neighbouring plotholder a few months ago. Trying to do some things which take up a bit more space than I could have done with the half plot.

Robster

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2020, 12:09 »
Weeded and hoed round all then onions, garlic, shallots and elephant garlic.  Gave them a good feed of Growmore.  Hopefully they will really push on now.  I like to get the onions at least out quite early so I can get another crop in the ground.  Prepped a bed where I'll make a seed bed for the leeks which I'll sow this weekend hopefully.  Then it started to drizzle a bit so I came home.  If it stops I'll get up there again this afternoon.
Good luck to all

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2020, 13:42 »
Not reached the plot today but started preparing at home. Planted out some lettuce in pots. Also sowed some more lettuce, broad beans and beetroot in conservatory. Sowed some outdoor tomatoes yesterday in heat after local garden centre ran out of plants.
Week end is looking good for a visit to the plot dry here. I need to catch up ready to put out my overdue onion sets.
Good luck to all
HH
Keep digging

Bernie68

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2020, 17:10 »
Planted double row of broad beans,rotovated potato patch and planted one short row of 13 winston spuds. :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 17:21 by Bernie68 »

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2020, 18:43 »
Dug over a couple of beds and planted some shallots. Noticed a neighbour planting out onions so think I will do that tomorrow. Looks like spring has finally arrived. Given the current problems it makes more sense than ever to maximise output from allotment.
I haven’t planted any spuds out yet but I’m conscious that the current restrictions on movement may become tighter. ( Especially as I will be 70 next month and therefore deemed vulnerable, though I’m not sure I will feel any different!)
Cheers HH

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2020, 14:52 »
Not on the plot but in the garden.
Used the new tools to tackle the wild lower and scruffy areas then I weeded a bit. The grass is sitting to let the insects vacate it before we take it up the plot to be composted.
Got some seeds in the propagator or sunny windowsill and potatoes on to chit. We still have a permafrost up at the plot and it's -2 so while plants are starting to grow, nothing will be planted outside.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2020, 16:34 »
Finally got a couple of hours down the plot this afternoon. Tipped a few more loads of compost onto a couple of the long beds and then pricked out the chillies, aubergines and the sungold tomatoes as they're a bit ahead of the other toms.
IMG_20200322_151814.jpg

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 54 queries.