Gutter ends for a very old Greenhouse

• 3 Replies

rocco1504

Gutter ends for a very old Greenhouse
« on: October 11, 2020, 03:30 »
I have just moved and rebuilt my 8 X 12 greenhouse on to my allotment plot and I'm desperately in need of some Gutter ends.
Problem is I can't remember what the make of Greenhouse it is other than its about 30 years old, aluminium and looks like the same construction as the Halls popular range with the gutter built into side of the wall itself ; It's also very small as guttering goes, only 26mm wide.
Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to get something that might fit, or have any brilliant solutions for building something myself that would work as I really don't want to lose all that lovely rain water.
Any ideas will be very much appreciated, many thanks for looking.

Growster...

Re: Gutter ends for a very old Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 05:08 »
It's always a bit of a problem, especially as a green house is set up to be level, so the gutter has no fall!

I've been looking at this recently, as the small gutter ends you can still get (somewhere), are pretty feeble!

If you have a fret saw, or even a hacksaw, and a piece of wood around half an inch thick, how's about making a template with some cardboard, to the shape of the inside of the end, cutting the wood to the template and getting some clear bathroom mastic to 'glue' it in place? (You'll only need a small tube hopefully).

At the other end, it should be OK to wire up or wedge in place, a piece of ordinary PVC gutter, and point it in the right direction, to collect from both sides and into a butt.

Hope this helps!

wighty

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 19:17 »
I've spoken to my husband who knows the contents of our garden supplier's catalogue inside out and he says there is no such thing commonly available unless from the original manufacturer.  (They are also called stop ends not gutter ends).   Growsters suggestion of a 'bodge' job sounds about your only option.

rocco1504

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 15:33 »
Hi Growster
I have to say I didn't think of that, I'm going to give it a go,, at least the wood would then swell and seal the blank end.
Then all I need is to find a small guage gutter to cut and glue into place.
When I rebuilt the Greenhouse I made it with a slight slant towards the back end of the Greenhouse so all the water goes off the back end.
Many thanks for the reply and the good idea.
Thanks Paul
Hi Wighty
Perhaps my explanation wasn't very good but I meant the gutter was part of the bit that runs along the sides that holds the ends and uprights and roof uprights in place.
It's an absolutely tiny gutter and I'm sure someone will have some "Stop ends" somewhere, I think I'll go with Growster's idea though as I am losing lots of lovely rain water as we speak.
I did find a place the other day that buys and sells old greenhouses and thought about asking him.
I'll let you know what the answer is.
Many thanks again
Paul

xx
new greenhouse nearly done

Started by LILLILEAF on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post December 25, 2016, 15:34
by oldgrunge
xx
New Greenhouse

Started by Eblana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 09:31
by mumofstig
xx
Greenhouse already 35 oC

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 12:41
by hubballi
xx
6x6 Greenhouse Set-up

Started by christokes87 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 05:58
by davel831

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 42 queries.