Plastic greenhouses

• 15 Replies

lightyears

Plastic greenhouses
« on: August 20, 2008, 17:28 »
Im interested in getting a greenhouse for the plot but dont have the cash for a proper metal and glass one. i saw this one on ebay and it seems quite resonable. thing is im not sure how tuff they are? will they stand up to a bit of wind? im interested in growing chilli's and toms next year
anyone help? ebay link below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Greenhouse-3-5MX2M-Huge-Walk-In-Green-Garden-Hot-Hous_W0QQitemZ370077834931QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370077834931&_trkparms=72%3A984|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ice

• muck spreader
Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 18:30 »
I had a plastic greenhouse similar to that one and my advice would be not to get one unless very sheltered from the wind.  We had a gale and the damn thing nearly ended up in the next county. :roll:   I now have a second hand aluminium one which will never blow away.
Cheese makes everything better.

lightyears

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 18:31 »
we are a corner plot and dont get much wind at all. the other day it was blowing a gale but it was like a summers day on my plot

Ice

• muck spreader
Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 18:41 »
Then go for it.  I had great success in mine.  The only other problem I had was getting enough ventilation.  Had mine for almost three years and to be honest it was getting worn out a little, but I guess it would have lasted another year at least

matron

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 18:56 »
We've used one this year that is 7' x 7' (also bought from ebay) and the chillies and tomatoes have ripened earlier in than in the glass greenhouses although this could be due to position. I am now on the look out for a bigger one but I would agree with Ice about the ventilation - something we have learned through experience this year.
Our is on our very windy plot. When we put it up OH dug a trench around it and put the soil from that onto the skirt of the polyhouse to weigh it down. We have had some very strong winds and up to now it is still standing.
Good luck. :lol:  :lol:

agapanthus

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 19:23 »
We got one of those this year and my chillies are doing quite well. You definitely need a sheltered spot tho'. Go for it!!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 20:20 »
Yup, it needs to be really sheltered from the wind... my dad had one of these and it did end up in someone elses garden a few doors down, and that was after just a moderately windy night  :shock:

mashauk

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 00:25 »
Ours got torn blowing away, we've gaffad it up to last til the end of this year but then it's going in the garden where I can keep an eye on it and getting a proper greenhouse for the lottie.

lightyears

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 20:13 »
well i finally got hold of one of these, will be hear some time soon, then on to the plot!

garddwr

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 21:04 »
sorry to tell you but this is what mine looked like :

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 09:02 »
I hate those things being sold as greenhouses  :evil:

Don't bin it though, Garddwr;  the shelves are good for inside proper greenhouses and you could always repair it with duct tape where the zip has come away from the plastic.

Maybe get some of those pipe clips that you can screw onto the wall and clip the frame of the shelving to.  That would help to hold it upright in a storm.

garddwr

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 14:18 »
I am looking everywere for a real greenhouse in the meantime the shelves are being stored in the garage until I find a second hand real one

lightyears

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 19:57 »
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=24469

see my other post, burried the skirts a good foot into the ground, it was blowing a gale today and it stood as firm as could be... though the loose ruble and old wood i used to weigh it down could be the aswer

FCG

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 20:11 »
I have the nearly exact same 'greenhouse' but mine has 4 tiers not 3. If you opt for another try weighing down the bottom with a boulder or two. It blew over the first day and after then never since.

llinx

Plastic greenhouses
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 00:42 »
Me being me, I use mine as a tea tent this time of year and a little place to duck into when the rain starts lashing down. I had the problem of it rocking about a lot and had I put any seed trays on the shelve , they wouldn't have been there long!

I used a fabric tape to place behind the struts and used a u clamp to (4 in fact) to secure it to the shed. Now it is strong and stable and let winter do its worst. I know the greenhouse isn't going anywhere now.

Just as a last tip, to make it even more secure, I put 8" tent pegs into the side flaps to hold it down and then placed a layer of builders bricks all along the edges. Works great :D:D:D

xx
Do the plastic greenhouses actually work?

Started by RJR_38 on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 10:57
by LilacSandy
xx
Culticaves/plastic greenhouses

Started by surbie100 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 19:39
by grendel
xx
wilko cheap plastic greenhouses

Started by monsta on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 23:34
by Paul Plots
xx
greenhouses

Started by davethespread on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 16:18
by davethespread

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.