ladybird shortage

• 13 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
ladybird shortage
« on: June 25, 2008, 15:56 »
Have you seen any ladybirds yet this season? I don't remember seeing even one so far.

jannie

• Experienced Member
ladybird shortage
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 16:02 »
hi azubah  :? we have loads where we are try putting one of thoose ladybird house's so they have somewhere to hide in the winter  :) jan

peapod

• Pea Goddess
ladybird shortage
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 17:18 »
azubah

Come to think of it Ive seen only one - a lot earlier this year too, I remember because it made think of spring and made me smile
Im going to get a few of those insect houses this year, my bird table has been a success and Im very happy about that, so Im gonna give these a go
Have you seen the price of some of the shop bought ones though?
Pheweeee!!

paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
ladybird shortage
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 19:01 »
Lots of ladybirds on our site, and a ladybird box is a brilliant idea Jannie.  I'll get on to that straight away

Porffor

ladybird shortage
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 21:20 »
yes.. all over a shrub i planted earlier this year... I was a bit preturbed, but i know they are decreasing in numbers so left well alone :)

jannie

• Experienced Member
ladybird shortage
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 22:19 »
I'm going to get my o h to make some i bought one at the malvern show not to bad in price but they look quite easy to make 3 bits of wood for the sides and bottom and two for the little roof and bits of bamboo inside,we have a local disabled school by us not really a school as there adults and they make anything you want for the cost of the wood  :) can't be much so i might get a price off them  :D jan

Bob

ladybird shortage
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 23:07 »
I haven't noticed any in the last month but there were a few about in May.  My sister kindly bought me a ladybird house but it is sitting on my fireplace at the moment  :roll: Must get it out...

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
ladybird shortage
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 23:15 »
I found one on an onion i'd planted and was so pleased to see it had laid eggs so I pulled up the onion and put it in the GH and the babies hatched and have eaten loads of aphids.  better than buying them if you can tell the eggs apart!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
ladybird shortage
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 14:28 »
Thanks for your replies folks. I still have not seen any yet. A few years ago I used to catch them and put them in the greenhouse, but when it got hot they used to fly round all over the place until they found the window or open door and escape. I used to get thousands in my strawberry bed. I hope they will soon multiply. It is good to hear that some of you have plenty.

lincspoacher

ladybird shortage
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 18:23 »
Check Ebay, i bet someone has bought them all to sell on there.

compostqueen

ladybird shortage
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 22:36 »
I have not seen a single solitary one this year  :(   I have aphids in my greenouse too  :roll:

triyin

ladybird shortage
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 14:36 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
Check Ebay, i bet someone has bought them all to sell on there.

that is just so funny... but maybe true  :D

i have heard that you can buy them?????

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
ladybird shortage
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 17:44 »
we have lots of ladybirds on our lettuce raised bed and also on the peas -my hub. is building a ladybird- box for the front and back of our plot so I hope they stick around- could that new immigrant ladybird be the cause of so few?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
ladybird shortage
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 18:47 »
I've bought them mail order before... they come in a little bottle with a guazy end to allow air in... It's true!  :lol:

I bought mine from Harod Horticultural... other suppliers are available!  :lol:

clip
Miniscule ladybird

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post September 30, 2018, 16:12
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.