Fig tree question

• 9 Replies

All Me Own Work

Fig tree question
« on: February 14, 2010, 22:09 »
Don't know if anyone can help, but I got a small fig 'tree' (twig, really) about six months ago (maybe less), mail order - about a foot or so tall. Planted in a plastic tub, say 10 or 11 inch diameter. Normal compost. home made from last year (i.e. it has been composting for a year).

Anyway, there were a couple of leaves that soon died off, leaving a woody twig with some new, green growth.

Over December, there was a sudden spurt of growth - maybe 3 or 4 inches - and half a dozen leaves sprouted (plus a couple of off-shoots, which have been left and no further growth has occured).

Now, the leaves are falling off.

I have keep the tree inside, in a warm, humid atmosphere (where the tumble dryer is). It gets a reasonable light - not direct sunligh, but light just the same. I have kept the compost moist - watering only when the top feels dryish.

I have repotted it today in a clay pot, about 20 inches diameter.

Is this common - for there to be growth over winter, new shoots and new leaves, then for them to fall off in Jan/Feb? Or have I killed it somehow?
I plant the seed, nature grows the seed and then I eat the seed. And then, after that again, I plant the seed, nature grows the seed...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Fig tree question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 22:26 »
I think it is because the tree has been indoors. Figs are pretty hardy and are deciduous. It might have grown new leaves in response to the warmth indoors and now lost them by being a bit on the dry side.

I would suggest you keep it somewhere very cool and bright, not too wet, until you can re-harden it off, because it won't appreciate going outside now into freezing nightime conditions.

It should survive and start to grow new leaves around end of March I hope  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 22:29 »
Figs do like a lot of direct sunlight. It is probably feeling the warmth putting out leaves and then deciding as there is no light it must be winter after all.
Put it somewhere cooler so it is not tricked into false starts. If it is `Brown Turkey' they are quite tough and go through some of the colder winters we`ve been getting*.

Are you going to knock the bottom out of the pot and plant it ouside later on ?

* I hope i`m not speaking too soon  :unsure:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 22:36 »
No, I don't think you are previous -- our brown turkey fig is fine  :D :D

All Me Own Work

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38 »
Thanks for advice - it is Brown Turkey. Wasn't thinking of planting it outside - I live in Yorkshire and winters (the last one - still ongoing?? - especially) get pretty cold.

Idea was to have it as a house plant - front room or conservatory (only prob - no conservatory!!!).

Have moved it to a cooler part of house and will give it some 'air' (i.e. outside) when the temp picks up a touch.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:31 »
Good morning AMOW

Would you mind adding your whereabouts into your profile, please? I hadn't realised you live so far north -- I'm in the 'soft south'  :lol: :lol: --- ass then advice will be able to be matched your local conditions  :D

Good luck with the fig  :)

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:37 »
We have one in the garden, same situtation but now in its third year.  Over winter i just covered it in a bit of protective cloth to keep the worst of the frost off it.  Its happily sitting there with a fair crop of figs ready to get going in spring!

They are pretty hardy things in the winter, just require plenty of sun in the summer

Lew

Edit: i am also in Yorkshire
I hate signatures but love irony

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 13:02 »
Jut to echo what others have said really.... Mine,, another `Brown Turkey', is hard against a south-facing wall and takes everything the weather can throw at it....

There is nothing quite like taking a fully-ripe and sun-warmed fig from the tree, tearing it apart and eating it right there in the garden.  8) Yum-scrum.

All Me Own Work

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 00:57 »
Good morning AMOW

Would you mind adding your whereabouts into your profile, please? I hadn't realised you live so far north -- I'm in the 'soft south'  :lol: :lol: --- ass then advice will be able to be matched your local conditions  :D

Good luck with the fig  :)

Sorry - didn't realise I hadn't done that (update location). I'm based in Sheffield, South Yorks.

Thank you  :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:11 by sunshineband »

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 07:13 »
I remember removing a Fig tree once that had grown up and over a garage roof and the sap burned my arms and hands so much, my mate had blisters from the sap as well for days we was itchy  :tongue2:
Thanks
Kris

xx
fig tree question

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 20:59
by LilacSandy
xx
apple tree question

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 18, 2012, 11:39
by grendel
xx
Cox`s Apple tree question

Started by CarlC on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 19:57
by Martin
xx
apple tree question

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 15:49
by Trillium

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 37 queries.