Sweet peas

• 68 Replies

DIGGER

Sweet peas
« on: October 13, 2008, 13:42 »
I usually put my sweet pea seeds in toilet rolls end of Feb . Now I know a lot of people start of about now.
I thought I would give it a go and see how they developed.
Well I put them in toilet rolls last week and allready the heads a poking through.
They are in an unheated greenhouse.
I have visions of them being 6ft high by spring. Should i just leave them.
I use them up a fence in the garden and to mingle with runner beans on lotte,so they have a long wait to be used at the lotte.

Riala

Sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 13:48 »
In toilet rolls??

DIGGER

Sweet peas
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 13:56 »
Quote from: "Riala"
In toilet rolls??

Yes I always grow sweet peas and garden peas in toilet rolls,and then plan them direct in the ground.
Regret not my idea I think quite a few do it.
Put them  in a little box and fill with compost. Saves on compost and the carboard biogrades [not the right word] in the ground

mrs bouquet

Sweet peas
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 14:05 »
Oh DIGGER, you do mean when the papers all been used don't you   :?:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Riala

Sweet peas
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 14:12 »
Oh!! Now I get you!

I use newspaper pots that I make (I think it was Richyrich that showed us all how).

DIGGER

Sweet peas
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 14:29 »
Oh ,you two are just teasing me arn t you.If you dont behave i will start another silly thread.
But what about my sweet peas

Trillium

Sweet peas
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 15:32 »
It's a long time until spring for growing sweet peas to wait. Not sure how many will survive due to your own particular winter weather. Even in a greenhouse they can get too cold. You can always try and see what happens but if you find you're losing them by the new year, then start reseeding.

mrs bouquet

Sweet peas
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 15:34 »
OK, seriously, they probably shot away because of the hot weather.  Keep the tops pinched right out, when they grow a bit more, that'll make them nice a bushy.  I think I would review them again say March/April, if you don't think they will work, you've still got time to plant a few more.
The ones you've already done, will slow down when it gets cooler and darker, brrrrr.   Mrs Bouquet

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
Sweet peas
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 15:40 »
Hi Digger, I put mine in in January this year and was pretty pleased with the results. The chap with a plot next-door to mine put his in the previous October though and his were absolutely stunning and the earliest flowering sweet peas I saw around. They were also still flowering up until about a week ago even though he hasn't been picking them for ages. I'm planning on putting mine in soon in root trainers - the posh equivalent of loo rolls!  :wink:

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
Sweet peas
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 15:42 »
Sorry, just realised that doesn't really answer your question  :oops: I will ask this chap if he had any trouble with 'run away' plants and if he pinched them out and where he over-wintered them.

DIGGER

Sweet peas
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 16:00 »
Thanks everyone,as i said it is only an experiment,every thing seems to work for Carol Klein and her mates.
I will keep my eye on them and whatever happens i will start some more in Feb.
I always get a bit fed up from December to Feb so i am looking to keep an interest going.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Sweet peas
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 16:07 »
I put mine in my unheated gh two weeks ago and they are already about 4 inches high! Its the first time Ive done this with SP, so Im a bit worried they wont last.  I started them at this time because they did nowt last year in Spring
I didnt know you could pinch out the tops so will do that, and hopefully Ill have some gorgeous smelling flowers for the house next year..as I cant bear to cut my lilies when they are flowering  :oops:

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

garddwr

Sweet peas
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 16:44 »
Mine went in yesterday in the heated propagator 3 per 7.5cm pot as the thompson and morgan instructions stated  :D  !

[/IMG]

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Sweet peas
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 16:59 »
I've tried early sowings of sweetpeas (December) & found that they run away too much. Even with pinching out they were over a foot long, spindly, flopping all over the place, before the final frosts.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DIGGER

Sweet peas
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 17:05 »
Quote from: "garddwr"
Mine went in yesterday in the heated propagator 3 per 7.5cm pot as the thompson and morgan instructions stated  :D  !

[/IMG]

I think you might end up with pretty trees

xx
Sweet Peas

Started by thestens on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 21:49
by MoreWhisky
xx
sweet peas

Started by bright lights on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 08:49
by chicken soup
xx
sweet peas

Started by CaroM on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 09:19
by CaroM
xx
sweet peas

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2021, 08:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 38 queries.