Oops, Upside down!

• 14 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Oops, Upside down!
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:26 »
Just recently chitted some sweet corn in doors (as per JH advice). They produced some nice long white shoots, so I potted them carefully into 3 inch pots with the shoots pointing up. Now having checked I see the shoots were diving back down into the compost and realised these were the root shoots! :blush:

So I had to go through every pot and turn the little fellows up the right way! I can now see the growing shoot developing. They may have righted themselves, but I wanted to make sure.

Ah. you live and learn!! :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Oops, Upside down!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:30 »
 :lol: Easily done if you don't know  ;)

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:41 »
I had upside down beans. I never know which way to put them and as they were coming through the roots were pushing the compost up as they were trying to go down and  the bean shoot was underneath trying to come up.  :wacko: I will probably have dizzy beans now  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:56 »
As far as I know seeds always produce the root first when germinating - if you plant chitted seeds as soon as you see it you don't really need to worry about which way up it is, and you also avoid the risk of it drying out or getting damaged, which can happen if you leave it for longer.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

heloise

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:14 »
I tend to put them in once chitted on their side, then they make their own minds up  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:06 »
I think it's only potatoes where we say "chits up"  :D

cos they be shoots and not roots!

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 12:41 »
As far as I know seeds always produce the root first when germinating - if you plant chitted seeds as soon as you see it you don't really need to worry about which way up it is, and you also avoid the risk of it drying out or getting damaged, which can happen if you leave it for longer.

Yes I agree Jay, should have planted earlier. Got to them a bit late though as they really shot off quick!

Spr0ut

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 13:40 »
I'm picturing someone in Australia seeing sweetcorn popping up in their yard and wondering where on earth they came from!

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 17:15 »
I'm picturing someone in Australia seeing sweetcorn popping up in their yard and wondering where on earth they came from!
I had a similar picture but with a very surprised kangaroo involved
May the fork be with you

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 22:13 »
I've had a couple of seeds get very confused this year: a butterbush squash and a cosse violette bean, both of which sprouted their roots into the air and their shoots into the compost!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 22:45 »
I had one bean like that - the others are too high and will probably not survive being planted out (stems bent over), but this one has a very interesting 'loop' above the soil where the root has gone the scenic route to its downwards path, and the stem is much shorter than the others  ::) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 08:25 »
I had a similar issue and looked up pics on the internet to see which it was - root or leaves, the pics I found suggested leaf (which is what you'd thought!). When I went to pot them they had two shoots facing opposite directions, on the side they went!
Be interesting to see how they turn out prechitting like this, only had 3 out of 40 that didn't do anything.
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 08:51 »
I sow runner beans in paper pots which are taller, but not much wider than the average toilet roll tube, and in the past the shoots have sometimes struggled to find 'route 1' - I've had them bursting through the sides of the pots, and occasionally even out of the bottom!  :ohmy:

Because my saved White Lady seeds are sometimes a bit hit and miss I chit them first, and plant them with the rootlet pointing down as soon as it appears - this seems to help them as the shoots all managed to grow straight upwards this year.  ;)

crh75

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 12:15 »
I have a broccoli seedling at home which has its roots dangling in the air and one of its cotyledons in the soil starting to root!  A very strange sight, I must take a picture.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 18:54 »
I think it's only potatoes where we say "chits up"  :D

cos they be shoots and not roots!

you are kidding me?? :D:D

xx
Upside Down

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 07:28
by WG.
clip
Upside-down courgettes

Started by erikaz1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2019, 14:24
by erikaz1
xx
Upside down or downside up???? ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 08:59
by jacnal
xx
Chitting upside-down

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 14:31
by Bluedave

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 40 queries.