New Chucks arrived

• 19 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
New Chucks arrived
« on: March 31, 2011, 17:36 »
just took delivery of our two new chucks the guy who delivered them was extremely  helpfully and informative and he is very happy with the size of the hen house and coop,

Now just have to introduce the dog to them she is a little softy and is wondering what all the fuss is about.

Will get some pics when they settle in.

Not named them yet and I'm open to suggestions. :) :)

Cheers Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New Chucks arrived
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 17:41 »
best wait until you know their personalities before naming them - every chicken is an individual so names will spring to mind when you know your birds  :D
Can't wait to see them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

rachelr

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 20:23 »
you have now joined the mad hen brigade. Enjoy it to the full especially the eggs lol

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 20:44 »
be careful with the dog, ours (which are softies) got into the part of the garden where the hens are and attacked them last week.  We have always kept them apart as other postings on here have told of similar problems.  Thankfully they have survived but we are now adding automatic closures to the two five bar gates they managed to open!

Enjoy your hens- they are very compulsive and there is nothing nicer than sitting with a cuppa and watching them!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 20:47 »
The guy said they are about 2 weeks off laying for the first time. Wasn't expecting them here today as I was in work and asked for a Friday delivery. Fortunately I had an early finish today.

So we got them settled and as the weather is mild he suggested leaving the hutch door open so they can settled without being disturbed.

Just checked them and they a snuggled up and happily sleeping.

Will do Daisy.

Bill

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 20:49 by billathome65 »

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:47 »
couple of pics

Bill

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:13 »
Hi Bill, they look lovely... but a bit more than 2 weeks off laying ;)

They look about 12 weeks old, so they might not lay for a couple of months yet :)

One other small pointer... you might want to put some litter in the metal dropping tray.  Metal by itself can be cooling and could cause condensation going from the cool night to the warm day.  having half an inch of dust extracted shavings in the tray will also make it easier to clean out, believe it or not.

Good luck with them :D

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:20 »
Hi Bill,

I got 4 hens to start with, 2 light sussex, a legbar and a cuckoo maran. Now the sussex were about twice the size of the legbar and maran and were laying. Two months later and the legbar has just started to lay. But by watching her development i can say the maran is still a few weeks off.

The comb needs to develope, and during so they get more vocal. She went through, what i can only describe as 'adolescence'  :D. Raising her head above the sussex, heckles up, flapping around the garden like she had just lost her head kind of thing.  :wacko: My very calm and gentle maran is just starting to do the very same, and i can see the growth in her comb. She is scatty and the slightest thing gets her flapping. She has also started to raise her heckles.

I also checked the legbar and marans 'hip' width. The legbar was 3 finger width so i knew she was very close, and the maran only 1 and a bit.

Just a few things to look for  :D

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 13:19 »
Happy Chicks?
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

billathome65

• Experienced Member

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 13:55 »
Hi Casey

I am picking some up latter as they arrived unexpected I was not ready for them in that sense so that is the first thing on my list.

As for the age and laying we don't eat many eggs anyway so am happy to wait longer for my first taste. :D

Cheers for the info though.

Regards Bill

Dominic

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:47 »
Recognised the feeder, and your local ish to me, just making asure I'd not missed any other closer suppliers.

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49 »
Hi there, i'm new to this, just joined today so hope i'm doing things right. I got my first hens last week 4 of them and have fallen in love with them, i had picked names before i even got them, but have been watching there personalitys and none of them suit the names so they have all been changed...
I find my self sitting watching them for hours they are all so different in character, can i ask is it normal for one of the hens to be pecking the other's.
many thanks from a very windy Scotland x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 11:01 »
yes perfectly normal - this is what is known as the pecking order and she is letting the others know she is the boss.
Welcome by the way, why not nip over to the welcome section and introduce your self to everybody  :)

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 11:56 »
Ahh they look lovely............Im sure you'll end up buying more  :lol:

xx
Just got my chucks

Started by lockettplot on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 23:02
by pigeonpie
xx
New chucks

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 04:51
by Lindeggs
xx
Dogs and chucks

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 20:20
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Old dried herbs for chucks

Started by rainie on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 21:02
by rainie

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 37 queries.