Wish I had more room!

• 1 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Wish I had more room!
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:04 »
My daughter works with someone whose husband has a free range egg business.  Have just found out this morning that their (Lohman) hens are due to be captured tomorrow morning for dispatch.  They have thousands of them and are only one year old.  I have been offered the chance to rescue some but don't have the room for them.  I could accommodate 2 more hens but I am getting 2 Welsummers as an early Christmas pressie off my Aunty.

The farmer only gets 50p per hen but with the charges for catching and tansporting them I think they are out of pocket.  Apparently eggs are going the way of the milk.  Supermarkets are giving the farmers less for the eggs and the price of feed is increasing at an allarming rate.  So much so that they are not going to replace the hens that are going tomorrow.  They have thousands that will be going in about 9 months time and are considering the viability of the business.

The only good thing is that they have had a truely free range life.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Wish I had more room!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 13:13 »
Me too! Like you say though, they have had very good lives compared to their battery farm sisters.

xx
A room of one's own

Started by Kathie on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 10:47
by joyfull
xx
how many hens do i have room for

Started by terri on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 19:06
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 35 queries.