Automatic door opener

• 15 Replies

Carshay

Automatic door opener
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:14 »
Does anyone have an automatic door opener? Are they reliable? Which is the best sort? I'm not up to making one myself but feel that now the clocks have gone back some days I may not be home in time to shut them up. The fact that I may get the odd lie in as well makes it seem quite attractive too! My girls are a little way off from the house and I can see myself stumbling through the dark across the field just to see if the door has worked which would rather defeat the object!

Fisherman

Re: Automatic door opener
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:02 »
The VSB automatic door openers seem to be the most popular and from what I have read appear to be very reliable. There is more information on them including reviews on the Wells Poultry site. You do need a vertical operating door with sufficient head height as they aren't designed to operate sideways. I made my own and wouldn't be without it. You might want to consider putting an indicator on your coop somehwere to identify when the door is closed from a distance. An LED light would be good idea as they don't consume much power. This would prevent you having to trail accross your field in the darkness in order to check if the door has closed.

lightyears

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 14:18 »
i got a vsbi just the other day, it seems to be working well so far and all my hens have got in before the shut down, if your hens go in before dark it shouldnt be a problem for them as ive set mine to shut 15 mins after real dark so im sure they are in.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 17:10 »
I have one that is on a timer rather than the light sensor and it is brill!  As I work shifts it has been a god send and the only difficult ones are my Cream Legbars who still think they are tree chickens!
mrs.ploppy

Knight Family

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 18:19 »
I've had a VSB automatic opener and then bought the bolt on timer, and they have beem fault less. The auto timer is good if you dont want your girls to come out to early.

~I would recommend anyone  to buy one.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Carshay

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 20:01 »
Thanks for your replies, I'll certainly think about it! Do I have to buy a special door too or does it come with one?

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 19:41 »
I used my existing door and it is a wood one. As long as the door does not catch on anything and runs up and down smoothly it should be ok

Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 19:56 »
Love that name -  Mrs Ploppy. Obviously been keeping chickens for a while  :lol:

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 21:08 »
The name is a Black Adder joke!  And yes, been keeping chickens of lots of types for over 14 years now.  Not much I havent had trouble with lol or seen!

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 18:12 »
We've got one of those VSB door openers, and it's absolutely brilliant.

Most of the time, my chooks all go in by themselves. I do still go to check they're all in and the door's closed, but it means I'm not tied to going outside at a precise time.

The best part, though, is that you can have a long lie in the morning without feeling guilty about the poor chooks being locked up!

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 18:20 »
Another vote for the vsb. Have had ours 3 years now and no problems at all, the batteries are still going strong, the timer is great. If  you get one you will not be disapointed.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 16:46 »
I have had mine for about 6 months and find it very good. Bought some spare batteries the other day just in case as I did not realise they lasted that long but dont want to get cought out!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 09:31 »
I have been looking at these recently, and noted on ebay that someone else is doing a door opener, a lot cheaper than VSB, might be worth looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Automatic-Chicken-Hen-House-Pop-Door-Opener-Timer-Kit-/300489722029?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item45f69548ad

alison

ehs284

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 08:21 »
FWIW: A Tesco or similar large cutting board makes a good door. Just right size, no sticking, weatherproof, light and things can be screwed to it.

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 09:24 »
I have been looking at these recently, and noted on ebay that someone else is doing a door opener, a lot cheaper than VSB, might be worth looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Automatic-Chicken-Hen-House-Pop-Door-Opener-Timer-Kit-/300489722029?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item45f69548ad

alison

It seems very noisy , but that may be a good thing to give chooks that leave it till the last minute a warning that they are being locked out. :)

xx
Automatic door opener for hen house

Started by tomtoby on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 21:16
by tomtoby
xx
Automatic Hen House Door Opener

Started by duckling on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 11:47
by duckling
xx
Automatic Door Opener Closer - where are they cheapest???

Started by pookey on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 12:47
by pookey
xx
VSB Automatic door opener remote light sensor???

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 08:23
by cbv8

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.