Cultivator HELP please.

• 8 Replies

DJH

Cultivator HELP please.
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:29 »
I have just bought an old Westwood cultivator which seems to have a Suffolk engine. It runs very nicely but I have a problem (and no manual!)
The drive is by chain which is enclosed. There is a rubber grommet at the top which reveals nothing when removed. I am worried that the chain should be oiled or even run in a bath of oil. Is there any way of determining whether there should be a sump of oil or I should squirt some oil in every so often. I don't want to add too much but I don't want it to run dry.
Can anyone help with this please.
Thank you,
David

Vit

• Experienced Member
Re: Cultivator HELP please.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:05 »
Ummm... how about grease instead of oil?

DJH

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:28 »
Ok with me, Vit.
Do I just 'shove' it in through the 1in hole near the top? Until I see it coming back out again? I would have thought there would have been some sort of grease nipple somewhere?!!
David

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 13:05 »

Maufactures don't usually recommend grease and I would not  use it  unless the seals are worn so bad they won't hold the oil and one needs to keep the machine working until a repair can be done.
Tip your machine back on the transport wheels if it has any and see how far back you can tip it before any oil runs out of the fill/level orifice.
If you look in the instruction manual section for Norlett 500/6000 you will get an idea of how to do it.
edit:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/assets/rotovator/Norlett-5000-6000-cultivator.pdf
i think its page  5,may not be exactly right for yours but it should not be too far away for you not to do any damage until a definate reply is forth coming.
smud6ie
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 13:11 by smud6ie »

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 14:29 »

Maufactures don't usually recommend grease and I would not  use it  unless the seals are worn so bad they won't hold the oil and one needs to keep the machine working until a repair can be done.
Tip your machine back on the transport wheels if it has any and see how far back you can tip it before any oil runs out of the fill/level orifice.
If you look in the instruction manual section for Norlett 500/6000 you will get an idea of how to do it.
edit:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/assets/rotovator/Norlett-5000-6000-cultivator.pdf
i think its page  5,may not be exactly right for yours but it should not be too far away for you not to do any damage until a definate reply is forth coming.
smud6ie
ah, ok, that's reasonable. then the question is - is there oil leaks around chain? maybe just old oil became a tar?

DJH

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 14:33 »
Thanks again for the various advice. The chain sump seems to be very well sealed and without any traces of oil or grease. However, I will tip it back until something (or nothing) runs out. If it is oil, how would I know how far to fill it up? Should the chain be running in the oil?
David

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 16:33 »
The chain should run in the oil or it won't lubricate.
Often there is a screw/bolt in the centre of the chain case about 6 or 8 inches up from the bottom. It will usually have a seal of some sort around it. This is the level plug. Take it out, and refill with oil until it starts to run out.
However, some makers didn't see fit to include this useful little device.

DJH

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 17:11 »
I think that this must be the hole with the rubber plug/grommet. I will try this out and see what happens. I imagine it can't cause too much of a problem if I get it wrong? It wouldn't affect the running of the engine for instance?
David

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 02:08 »
Oh, it will affect :D lubricated machines working better. :D Engine usually deeply separated with gearbox/transmission, so no worries. Also, if possible, please post here a photo of your machine.

xx
What cultivator

Started by ham64 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post November 28, 2008, 22:57
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Cultivator hoe

Started by Buzzy bee on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 09:03
by siandc
xx
Cultivator

Started by mdjlucan on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2020, 12:03
by jambop
xx
Cultivator

Started by yanfoex on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2006, 18:49
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 36 queries.