Wolseley Merry Tiller help.

• 41 Replies

aardvark

Re: Wolseley Merry Tiller help.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 00:39 »
last update - got a chance to take her out for a run - what fun!... cleared 3 small beds (about 3m x 1.5 each) in 20 mins (not bad for a first attempt!).  Had to stop as the ground was a bit wet and there was a light rain getting worse. got it back int he shed before the heavy down pour.

Gave it a rake over and it was lovely.  My wife got some onions in and she said how nice it was.

looking forward to when the weather really holds up and I can do the other parts.

All I need to get now is some wheels so I can drive it about into the shed and up and down the allotment (a pain at the moment). (if you know where I can get some - please shout!)

Thanks Again.

Aardvark

Gwiz

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 05:35 »
I should think the only place o look will be Ebay.
I'm glad you had fun with it. It makes all the effort of sorting it out worthwhile, Eh? ;)

johnny rich

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 15:37 »
I also have Merry Miller ,mine is a Titan and judging by the engine no. it is circa 1973,
It also has a starting problem, according to the vintage engine repair manual obtained from briggs&stratton my model's flywheel removal does not involve a puller but jarring it loose with wooden block and hammer, impossible I don't think "desperate Dan " could shift it this way I've tried heat on the spindle and rapidly cooling it to no avail,any ideas anyone
            Johnny Rich

smud6ie

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 16:32 »
I also have Merry Miller ,mine is a Titan and judging by the engine no. it is circa 1973,
It also has a starting problem, according to the vintage engine repair manual obtained from briggs&stratton my model's flywheel removal does not involve a puller but jarring it loose with wooden block and hammer, impossible I don't think "desperate Dan " could shift it this way I've tried heat on the spindle and rapidly cooling it to no avail,any ideas anyone
            Johnny Rich

Have to ask,have  you removed the starter mechanism that hold the F/wheel on or is that what you are trying to do with the wooden block?
smud6ie

aardvark

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 17:32 »
            Johnny Rich

Johnny,

Mine is a Titan too (although from 1980).

To remove my fly wheel - I wedge the fly wheel with a piece of wood under it - the tapped the clutch assy (see post « Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:49 PM » - further up the thread for photo) with a socket handle and a hammer (gently tapping anticlockwise on one of the screw lugs) until it comes loose (I think it was about 1/3 of a turn) and can be removed by spinning anticlockwise. - remove the washer that sits inbetween - the remove the wood holding the flywheel still and use it as a buffer to tap the flywheel free (normally 1 or 2 medium taps did the job)then slide that off (making sure you don't loose the key) - job done :)...

Cheers

johnny rich

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 19:39 »
To answer smudgie Ihave removed half ofsyarter mech

johnny rich

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 19:55 »
To answer Mr "Cheers" thanks for info will give it go tomorrow and report progress

johnny rich

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 20:56 »
Johnny Rich calling, thanks for every ones help got the fly wheel off the coil/points looked quite new so checked and adjusted gap started to re-assemble.
As the starter ractchet assembly had parted I had to solve the puzzle of keeping six ball bearings in situ whilst putting two halves together "AH" I know Vasaline to the rescue,
Continued,armature gap checked,adjusted,also plug gap.
Assembly complete,oh and I left ground wire unconnected,attempted to start the beast,absolutely dead, but guess what after initial pull the damn ball bearings kept sticking stopping ratchet from engaging copious amounts of WD40 helped but thewretched animal would not start.
I was just about to put machine the garage after clearing up but I gave her one more pull and surprise surprise she fired (got to be female the trouble it's caused),one or two more pulls and she fired long enoughto adjust mixture.
Many thanks the for the advice.
Weather prevailing tomorrow it'l be "hey ho hey ho it's off to till I go.

aardvark

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 21:18 »
Johnny,

Glad you got it up and running. hopefully 'she' will be running OK tomorrow for you.

it might be worth giving the carb a clean out (if you haven't already done it) - the had thing I found difficult was to remove the diaphram cover - but spraying it with carb cleaner and leaving it for 30 minutes and it just fell away.

Let us know how it runs.

Cheers

Aardvark
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 21:29 by aardvark »

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 10:24 »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will always have problems with the starter ratchet unless you take it apart again and use petrol to remove all the oil and Vasalene  that you have put in it. Check that manual and it will tell you to assemble the starter clutch dry except for one drop of oil on the crankshaft where the square bar part of the ratchet runs.
How to keep the balls in place. Once everything is ready,  lay the machine on it’s side, pop the balls in, then the tin cover and get the machine upright again before much oil and petrol have escaped from the engine.
Regards, Richard
R Tallentire

johnny rich

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 20:15 »
Johnny Rich reporting on the "beast", she would have performed but for the sticky ground,just dug herself in biut I am sure with the right conditions she''ll be a star.
I only had to tweak the clutch slightly,as for cleaning the carb out I intend to but for now as she is running sweet as a nut the old saying comes to mind "if it aint broke don't fix it".
As Merry Miller Tillers came with various accessories I inherited with mine the ploughshare attatchment,does any one know where I could obtain instuction leaflet on it's use.

Johnny Rich "the oldest plough boy in town"

jezza

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 20:57 »
hi the cylinder you are referring to is the condenserit needs to be attached securely  don't use easy start the engine will get addicted to it   jezza

question
Wolseley Merry Tiller

Started by DaveMort on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2023, 08:42
by DaveMort
xx
Wolseley Merry Tiller engine

Started by John Wrigg on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2021, 16:29
by John Wrigg
smiley
WOLSELEY MAJOR MERRY TILLER CULTIVATOR

Started by MaryM on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 08:21
by MaryM
xx
Wolseley merry tiller major drive belt?

Started by spiritofold on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2006, 13:09
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 39 queries.