It's Up!!!!!

• 6 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
It's Up!!!!!
« on: May 18, 2006, 16:33 »
The polytunnel that is, before you think this is a rude posting John!!! lol

The frame has been up for weeks, but we have finally got the poly over and secured.  It didn't fit at first, but it fitted where it was before, but OH hadn't put the tube things in the ground as much as the original people had, so we went round the base again and hit them in further, then stretched the poly over, and I filled the trench in while OH held the polythene.  Mind you, I nearly buried him with it!!!!  He didn't really know if he was doing it right, but I was always wrong (of course) and while he was holding the poly, I was running inside and outside filling in soil.  Why he didn't do the inside frist as I suggested I don't know, but he drove me nuts!!!  So I am NOT doing it AGAIN!!  If I ever want another polytunnel, I'll get someone else to erect it!!!!  Mind you, it would have been easier if there had been 3 of us doing it!!!    And I can't really moan too much, as he has erected a misting system for me in there as well.  Well, more like a deluge when we tried it out this afternoon!!!! lol

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
It's Up!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 16:25 »
I think polytunnels are a three person job at least.

Larry's tunnel on the allotment was quite tricky by all accounts.

But you'll soon forget the trauma of putting the polytunnel up when you get those early crops.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

It's Up!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 23:13 »
Well, three days after returning from Kent, and polytunnel is three quarters full!  I've got 66 tomatoes in there, 37 chillis, 10 aubergines and 6 cucumbers.  I've also put in the remainder of my potatoes and 56 brassicas where I ran out of space in the veg patch.  I don't know how they'll do 'indoors' but we'll see.  

At the moment, I'm trying to get my hanging baskets and containers planted so I will have more room in the greenhouse for melons etc.  AND, I have my first courgette coming!!!!  It's about an inch long now!!!

Brian has also fixed up my 2nd water butt to one end of his shed/workshop, and got the big white tank out at th other end, all it needs now is the guttering and downpipe fixing to it.  It rained so much today that the water butt is about a third full already!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
It's Up!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 23:51 »
Annie's Market Garden by the sound of things - blooming marvellous :)

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
It's Up!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 01:12 »
sounds fab annie 8)

GrannieAnnie

It's Up!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 10:28 »
Be nice if it all grows won't it?  Anyone want any spare tomato plants?  Will also be interesting to see how long my growing season can be.  Hopefully I will be able to afford a gas bottle for my heater this year and put it in the tunnel.  Last year I planted a potato in a pot for Christmas, but it was a little late, they also reckong you can grow another tomato crop later in the year if you have heat, and of course, salad stuff.  Hopefully!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
It's Up!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:41 »
Fresh tomatoes for Christmas - lovely!

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 39 queries.