Really silly Flymo DM rotavator question.

• 27 Replies

Saulty

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 17:45 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
sorry mate, that's dutch to me.
I THINK the non flange mount bit means that it has no threaded holes on the pto side of the crankcase, to mount a gearbox. But don't take my word for it.
The other bit...........( :?: ) :?

My thoughts exactly!

I will try to get a photo up later. The shaft comes out of the side on the "other" engine and I believe it to be off a Norlett rotavator.

Thanks for your help guys.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 18:55 »
....I'm wondering if the 8 is erroneous??....It might pay to check the numbers out again?? :wink:  They are often quite hard to read given a bit of rust or a scratch to the area they are applied to.

"Dori"

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 13:19 »
Please accept my apologies, both as a newbie on this forum for jumping in and for hijacking this thread, but I've just won a Flymo DM on Ebay and the (very honest) seller contacted me this morning to say that he'd been checking it over to make sure everything was OK whe,en, upon trial-starting it, 1/4 inch of the recoil spring broke off. Nw he's admitted to being rather non-mechanical whereas I am a little better so he might not have the description exactly right. I have been told that recoil start modules are a bitch to repair and that replacement is preferred by many repair techs. If this is the case should I (a) forget the whole thing, which he has offered to his credit, (b) take a chance and see if I can fix it or (c) take the chance, knock the price down a bit and source a new one?
Please offere nay help you can to a clueless learner? :oops:  :D
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 14:02 »
Hey up browser no apologies necessary we always hijack threads around here  :lol:
Depend what he means by recoil spring if it's the metal itself then also I've heard  that they are a pain in the ass, the starting rope is easy enough must be cause I've done it. Problem you may have is sourcing the part.

Hang on for a while if you can Gwiz is the man on these things

I have a copy of the original manual if it's any help ? PM me with your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Welcome to the forums btw  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Gwiz

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 16:51 »
Hi, browser.
The recoil spring is housed inside the enging cowling. this is held on with 3 or 4 3/8th's bolts.
fitting a new spring can be a bit fiddly, but it's not that difficult.
a spring will set you back about £8.
I'm always around this section, lurking in the shadows, so if you get any problems just sing out! don't be shy. :D

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 20:39 »
Thanks for the replies guys and thanks for the welcome. My dusty ol dmemory is recalling fixing a recoil starter on some unnamed machine a few years back, which had had the same thing happen i.e. the recoil spring's 180-degree-bent-over end had snapped off. If I remember correctly I heated a small section of srping until cherry red and bent it over as a replacement. The fiddly bit was winding enough tension onto the spring and then clipping the spring's ends over their various retaining thingummies. I've spoken to the current owner of the machine and he offered to sell it to me for £30 spares or repair. Since I'd won it at £51 my concience kicked in and we settled on £35. I'm going to pick it up on Friday so I hope he doesn't change his mind between now and then!
I will probably be back with progress reports and asking for more advice once I get the thing home. Are they OK as rotavators go?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 20:58 »
Yes good little rotavator.I only got rid of mine to fund buying my mantis and the mantis is great, but it don't like damp ground due to the tight spaced tines, whereas the DM would work ok on damp soil. that and I couldn't lift it after my back went  :lol:

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 01:17 »
OK, final question, is there a potato ridger/plough attachment available for this machine? If not, would one intended for a Merry Tiller or similar be easy to adapt?

Gwiz

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 06:14 »
as far as I can remember, there wasn't any attatchments for this rotovator, and I don't think that you will find the merry tiller one will fit at all.
unless  you are planning to plant out a field with spuds, I don't think you'll need one!
Wolf tools make a hand furrower, or you could use a draw hoe (that's what I use)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 08:18 »
Funny enough I found this on ebay a year or so ago being sold as a potato ridger for the Flymo DM he was selling it  with his DM so I borrowed the pic just in case I wanted to get one made, they also did a wheel barrow attachment hence some DM's came with a chrome lever on the front. Others just have the mounting for it. There was also a couple of other bits knocking around as well, discs and bits I think,  I know I managed to find some for the electric version which MKH has/had.
Thye pop up on ebay very occasionally

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 08:42 »
I was aware of the small barrow body/plastic wheels/traction tyres and the mystery front lever that used to puzzle folk...but hadn't seen a ridger before.

Also of note....Do you still get a full set of fitting instructions in the box with a Genuine B&S recoil spring..??.....they certainly used to include a set.

"Dori"

Gwiz

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 09:22 »
well, there you go. I didn't know they made one!
I don't even remember them in the flymo catalogue/brochure so it's all new to me! :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 12:39 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
well, there you go. I didn't know they made one!
I don't even remember them in the flymo catalogue/brochure so it's all new to me! :?

Unless of course they just had one made to fit or used it from another rotatater,

xx
Flymo DM rotavator

Started by stever14 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 05:38
by Gwiz
xx
Flymo Rotavator accessiories

Started by Lotti Digger on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 08:28
by taterfork
xx
oil top up on a flymo dm/briggs rotavator

Started by daveinmanc on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2007, 20:06
by andyk
xx
Flymo DM rotavator advice needed.

Started by Saulty on Equipment Shed

50 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 19:03
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 38 queries.