Grape Jelly

• 20 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Grape Jelly
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:32 »
I've just made a batch of grape jelly from a vine we grow in the greenhouse for shade.  It's a good recipe which turns out nice and tangy with the added lemon juice (and as they're black grapes, the colour is gorgeous!).  However, I'd really like to add juniper berries to it but I'm not sure how or when.  I put some in with the grape juice, sugar, etc. when I boiled it, but they obviously weren't in there long enough to impart any flavour. 

I was therefore wondering whether it would be possible to extract the juice via the jelly bag, then heat it with the juniper berries prior to adding the other ingredients.  The grape juice and juniper could then be left to stand overnight for the flavours to develop.  However, I wasn't sure whether heating it twice would affect the setting or the clarity in any way?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Grape Jelly
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 20:51 »
I think it is going to be a case of try it and see.

Love the idea though and I wish I had thought of making grape jelly when I had all those grapes in the green house  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48 »
Yes, you'll have to remember for next year!  It's a very easy recipe - 2kg grapes, 900g jam sugar with pectin, and the juice of two lemons.  Strip the grapes from their stalks and put them into a heavy based pan.  Cook gently until they're starting to release their juices, then mash with a potato masher.  Cook for a further ten minutes or so until all the juice has been released, then transfer to a jelly bag and leave for at least four hours or overnight.  This should produce 1200ml of juice.  Then just boil with the sugar and lemon juice in the usual way till setting point is reached.  It's lovely as a slightly tart jam on scones or in tarts, and it also goes well with things like lamb or in casseroles to give an added sweetness and depth. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:18 »
I've copied that out for my recipe collection -- thnak you!!!  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 21:36 »
Bumping this back up as grape jelly is lush and there might be folk with grapes they are wondering what to do with  8)

I shall be harvesting mine over the weekend to make this  :D

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:32 »
WOW!!!  Are yours ready to harvest??  Mine are still tiny and very, very green!!  You obviously live in sunnier climes than East Anglia!!   ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:43 »
Mine are under glass, and are Black Hamburg.

As the weather turned dim again I have left them for another week  :(

At least it means the local blackbirds get to eat the ones I knock off, as I put them out on the grass for them  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 23:06 »
I use half and half with apple peelings so I don't need to use pectin sugar and then add vinegar and herbs which goes well with roast meats.
2 1/2 lb grapes to 2& 1/2lb apple cores and peelings stored up in the freezer until I have enough.. 2pints of water and a bunch of herbs of choice. Simmer till soft then add 2 pints distilled malt vinegar (white) simmer again for about 10 minute and strain through a jelly bag.
Then one pint liquid to 1 lb sugar and add more of the chopped herbs. I like rosemary or rosemary and chilli or sage.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 09:43 »
Mine are under glass, and are Black Hamburg.

Mine are under glass too ... the vine is supposedly providing shade for the greenhouse, which we've needed every year before this!!  I think it will be a while before mine are anything like ready to harvest (if at all).  Last year when I first posted the recipe, the vine was covered in the most beautiful bunches of jet-black grapes - we'll just have to hope the sun will keep his hat on and stay out to play for the rest of August and September  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:38 »
Funny really, that the grapes in my brother's greenhouse (cutting from same vine from my father) down in Portsmouth are still green too.

Jars are safely stored now for later in the year: all except one which we shall eat as we go  :D

PS I like the sound of your variation Mrs B  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 20:28 »
I still have 3 large bags in the freezer from last year so I need to use them up.

I also do a grape and apple jelly with mulled wine spices which is nice. especially with an all butter Devon scone and some mascapone cheese.

I add a piece of cinnamon bark, a few cloves, a few allspice berries, a whole star anise, rind of an orange and lemon and simmer them.

I leave the mix to sit overnight and then put it through the jelly bag. I don't need pectin sugar cos I used the apples.

I put a small piece of cinnamon bark in each jar to make it look pretty.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 20:35 »
Now I can see I shall have to look out for reduced price grapes somewhere, as I have used all mine already.

No rush, as the jelly bag is booked out for a while .........

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 20:38 »
I need to shift myself to use them up as I am waiting for the call to go to my friends house to pick this years grapes. :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21 »
I leave the mix to sit overnight and then put it through the jelly bag. I don't need pectin sugar cos I used the apples.

Leaving the mix overnight for the flavours to develop before beginning to strain is a brilliant idea - I've found that my jelly doesn't always have as strong a juniper berry flavour as I'd like (not that I want to overpower it, but sometimes you can't tell there's any juniper in there!).

As for using apple in place of pectin, what would you advise for blueberries?  I've found that when I make Blueberry & Lime Jam, the set is fine with fresh berries, limes and jam sugar but when I use frozen during the winter I often have to add Certo as well.  I usually make it with about two and a half pounds of blueberries, so what weight of Bramley would I need to add for that amount?  And can I just grate it in with the fruit as it's cooking or do I need to cook it separately?

Thanks!  :)  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:45 by cheshirecheese »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 14:21 »
Whenever I am using a fruit with  low pectin I either use some homemade apple pectin stock that I keep in the freezer or as I have been doing lately I use a grated cooking apple with the ratio of 8oz to 3lb of low pectin fruit.

So with 2 and 1/2 lb of blueberries I would use 6-7 oz.
If I am making strawberry jam with frozen fruit I defrost and strain the juice from the berries and I use the juice to simmer the apple until it is mushy.

Otherwise I use a small pan and just cover it with water. It needs to be mushy not swimming in water. If it is too watery simmer with the lid off to evaporate some of the liquid.

I used to use Certo when my Grandma taught me to make strawberry jam but I prefer to use natural ingredients where possible.

Do you crush your juniper berries before adding them to the mix? If not that might help to intensify the flavour.

I am planning to make a gin and lemon marmalade in the next few weeks flavoured with some juniper berries.

Oh, yes and you have 2 and 1/2 of blueberries. :ohmy:
I am so jealous. :( :(

I can only dream of having that many at the moment. The net got dislodged and the blackbirds and pigeons had a ruddy field day.  >:( >:(

We will be working on planting fruit bushes on the lotty this Autumn and making a fruit cage. The bushes are in pots in the back garden at the moment. The beggars won't be getting any next year.

xx
Non-set Grape Jelly

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post October 29, 2015, 11:27
by New shoot
xx
jelly - help

Started by feera on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 11:56
by Beetroot queen
xx
Crabapple jelly

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 22:42
by Yorkie
xx
Apple jelly

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 16:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 35 queries.