Help!!! More chickens or not?

• 32 Replies

Knight Family

« on: October 01, 2008, 08:08 »
Well, today been contacted to rehome some Ex-batts, well we have 5 lovely girls, that have been with us 2 weeks just.

So the question is "Is it to soon to bring in another 3 birds?" Also what the best way of doing it if I decide to do it.

It the thought of fresh eggs now instead of later doing it, plus I cannot help myself.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:13 »
I'd not get them.  They are more hard work than your new girls, as they will much more input from you and are likely to be either bald or ill, or both, and if you're new to chickens it might be a case of biting off more than you can chew.  I'd take a step back and make a good job of looking after your new girls.  Better to make a good job of looking after five than a bad job of looking after ten.  It's too soon. Give yourself more time.  If after a year you're an expert then by all means go ahead  :D

Well, you did ask  :D

Knight Family

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:14 »
compostqueen thanks, that was my thinking but the OH was getting at me :) she loves her chickens.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 08:23 »
I love mine too but as a novice I'd think long and hard before rushing in. These poor creatures need work and aren't for the beginner. That advice is plastered all over these threads, so please read before plunging in  :D

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:52 »
i disagree, ex bats are generally healthy if somewhat traumatised and featherless, i look after all my birds the same, whether ex bats or not and any chicken can get sick for any number of reasons.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 12:04 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I'd not get them.  They are more hard work than your new girls......................

I TOTALLY disagree. VOCALLY AND LOUDLY.

I am on my second batch of Ex batts. (due to Mr Fox)
The only chicken I have had die of ill health was an Hybrid.

THE EX BATTS ARE EASY they venture less distance and do take longer to come out of there shells no pun intended.  
Here is my time line

10/06/08 2 Hybreds Arrive
19/07/08 4 Ex Batts Arrive
27/07/08 1 Hybred died
02/08/08 3 Hybreds Arrive
24/08/08 3 Ex Batts died DUE TO FOX
20/09/08 3 Ex Batts Arrive
I have never had any experience with chickens before handling my first chicken on 10/06/08.  I have got through it easily with help from this website and these guys. My OH has a phobia about handling chickens so will not help me.
My friendliest chicken I have, is one of the new ex batts, I have only had her 11 day and that is no lie.

I received my second batch of ex batts a month early.  Why?  Due to people that had given a commitment to taking them and then a week prior to the release date pulling out.
[/size]

The chicken with the least feathers on the right is the friendliest chicken i have. ( I have 8 chickens)

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 12:47 »
there's no need to shout  :!:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 13:46 »
If you where to get the ex batts here are my tips
I have introduced chuck to chucks only three times.
My tips would be
1. have lots of feeding stations that is where most of the problems will be. I have three. If you are introducing ex batts you will be feeding them of layers mash and slowly (1 - 2 weeks) getting them on to pellets.
2. Introduce ALWAYS more than one chicken, the more the better.
3. Give as much space as possible helps one get out of the way of another the new lot will hang around the coop.
4.Try not to have corners in your fencing have a round corner (well you know what i mean) then no one is gonna get cornered.
5.For the newbies put them in the coop and keep them in for one day this is so they know what is home, with water.
6.Day two I close the coop door with the chucks out side as this encourages the newbies to eat and drink and not sit in the coop all day.
7.Have some purple spray on hand (just in case) http://www.google.co.uk/products?1&q=purple%20spray&cr=countryUK . Chickens are attracted to the colour red. The purple spray masks the colour and is an antiseptic.
8. For a the first couple of days to a week the newbies will not move more than a few feet from the coop.  My chucks can get under the coop and so they have rain cover.  (the coop sits on 9 inch legs)  They also spend there first few days under here.
9.  Pecking each other is normal way of working out there hierarchy and is worse in the evening times when roosting in the coop so I always have as little light in the coop as possible (with plenty of ventilation) for the first couple of weeks.

Knight Family

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 15:11 »
mmm I'm wondering, very tempted I must admit.

agapanthus

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 17:07 »
I would say go for it! You've only had your others a short while and although they probably have sorted out the pecking order, it's still early days and I think they'll do ok.  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 17:17 »
Each to their own Ruff.  You can't criticise people for their point of view.  Ex-batts are not suitable for everyone  :!:

FCG

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 22:37 »
If you feel that you securely can manage the extra birds, i would say go for it. Your birds will not have 'properly' sorted out a hierarchy yet unless they where raised together and you would possibly get less fighting than you would if you added them latter that said, the ex-batts will properly be at the bottom anyway.

However i think what has tried to be expressed is that they- can- become more difficult to manage and you won't have lost the 'novelty' factor of having your own chickens yet. There is a big difference looking after chickens in the cold and rain (brr, didn't like the rain today in Liverpool) with novelty and then looking after them going 'gah warm inside'. Still you seem to have plenty of happy helpers, so i would advise go for it... but no more than 3.

Again on the other hand, it's your own decision. Just make sure it's the right not just for yourselves in your situation but more importantly for the animals welfare.

Knight Family

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 22:48 »
Well I have already posted down saying we will take 3 but if there is more peeps that want them, then we dont mind missing. The wife always knew we were going to get more and she is the main one looking after them (she's wanted them for 10 years)

So we will see what happens. Maybe Pics to follow soon.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 23:42 »
Another thing to consider is that we are going into winter so there will be extra time spent keeping water clear of ice and due to the lack of light there will probably be no egg production till spring which will be ok cause they do need a rest for good health.
The ex-batts will have extra health concerns for a time but should turn around quickly with TLC (tender loving care), fresh air and sunlight. I applaud all that are able to take these girls in.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 09:36 »
I'm really not sure that there is much difference in looking after 5 or 10. You still have to get up, let them out, feed them, change the water, collect the eggs and change the bedding whether you have 1 or 10. Of course you have to spend a little more time keeping an eye on them to check that none of them are unwell (not that I spend/waste hours watching my lot of anything :oops: ) and if a couple became ill at the same time that might be a problem.
In terms of actual work load I never really noticed the difference between my oringinal 3 and the 8 I have now.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
question
chickens and veg

Started by zandelia on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 31, 2013, 23:34
by joolz68

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 34 queries.