New allotment

• 25 Replies

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
Re: New allotment
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 19:11 »
PS if you like leeks sow a whole cat tray ( or other similar container, spaced a half inch apart each way). These can stay in that container until pencil thick when they'll go in after you dig up your first early potatoes, if you haven't got much more ground dug by then. They will harvest right through autumn and winter. You'll have almost everything you need for leek and potato soup all from your plot.  :D

bigben

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 21:41 »
If you are new to all this growing stuff then you are on the right site, I have one of Johns books - the allotment one and I do recommend it. I would also get onto youtube and look up claires allotment stuff. She has done loads of short guides on growing stuff that I have found much more helpful than Gardeners world.
-Enjoy :)

woodburner

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:15 »
Covering the ground doesn't need to be expensive. I get loads of cardboard from a local builders merchant. Some people use layers of newspaper, but I don't get on with it. Whatever you use it needs to be held down, tent pegs, fleece pegs, bricks, large stones, bits of paving, are all good, and have other uses later on too.
If you can get your hands on a load of well rotted manure that is pyralid free (Your own is probably the most likely) you can grow no dig potatoes, with almost no preparation.
Cover the ground with cardboard, then a thickish layer of manure (must be well rotted or you will have scabby spuds) and plant direct into the manure. If you need to earth up more, you can use straw, but you need to wait until the plants are more than just little shoots, or it will get blown away. When they are full sized, finish off the earthing up with something that stops the light, e.g. more card, grass clippings, mulching fabric (if it's thin stuff use it double thickness, wilko's, at least last years, is decent stuff, and for this one layer will do.) earth, upsidedown turves, even more compost or manure, w/e :)
I really like this method, it's much easier than normal potato growing, the spuds are easy to harvest, it's just as effective at clearing new ground as the normal method, and you get lovely conditioned soil at the end because when you harvest the spuds, you incorporate all the organic matter.  :happy:

Also, if you are late like me (I only just got mine in) and your chits are long, they are less likely to get broken off, as the manure is soft.  ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

nappy501

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 15:42 »
Hi Everyone,

I have had my name down for an allotment for sometime.   At the end of March I was told I have one.

I have some early photographs here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39355512@N00/sets/72157623653068831/

Hi Everyone,

Just have 1/2 hour to give you all an update.  See here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39355512@N00/collections/72157623653064819/

A couple of weeks ago it rained for almost all the week, so we didn't get to the allotment.  The weeds were about 6 inches to a foot tall.  At the end of the week they were nearly 5 feet.  If I hadn't put carpet down I think I would have given up or sprayed the whole lot!

I planted thyme, sage, rosemary, basil and parsley and it all died.  Not sure why as I have never had trouble with herbs before.  Even my lavender plant died.  I did water it initially.  At home when I have planted a lavender it only gets watered when I put it in the ground and then I ignore it.  I think I may try growing one on at home and then planting it out when it is quite big.

Everyone is really nice on the allotment.  We have managed to get some things planted.

I have a couple of queries.  I have just started planting carrots, I realise it is too late for the parsnips, but I have planted 5 seeds.  Will they come up?

I got some outdoor cucumbers from Lidl.  I planted them from seed and planted them out, but they have disappeared.  Either they have died, something has eaten them or we have weeded them up.  Is it really too late to grow some more?  There were only 8 seeds in the packet and I only have 4 left so I don't want to waste them.

I have bought some comfrey Bocking 14.  It is sitting in a pot at home, but some of the leaf have gone yellow and brown.  Not sure what is the matter with it.  I don't want to plant it out yet as I want to make sure I have it in the right place.  Anyone know what is the matter with it?

I bought 3 asparagus in a bag, but didn't get them in the ground.  Do you think they will be all right to plant out next year?

We bought 10 autumn raspberries, they are still in a plastic bag pot at home.  There are green shoots growing out of the top.  We hope to have the bed for these finished in July, is it really too late to plant them out?

Why are my onions falling over? And should I do anything about it?

I have decided that I really would like a polytunnel on part of the allotment to extend the growing season.  But that is something for next year.  The dreams I have.

More that a couple of queries then.

Regards

Nappy501

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 19:43 »
Hi Nappy501 and congrats on your new lotty  :D

You've asked so many questions there it might be worth asking some in individual posts in the future as some are bound to get missed - you've already had to repeat a couple :)

People have made lots of good points so I'll only fill in a few gaps.

1. Carpet.  Please seriously consider not using this.  It releases chemicals into the soil as it degrades, it falls to pieces and/or weeds grow through it over time - and it's a b*gger to remove (one member on this forum has put his back out trying to lift it).  They are banned on my lotty site for all these reasons.  You say you want to be as organic; suggest you go with the other suggestions for covering ground if possible.

2. What to grow when.  The seed packets are always a good guide.  Also this chart
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php [edited to show correct link!]

3. Onions are probably falling over because they are ready.  Once the foliage has died down, lift them and dry them properly before storing them.  It is recommended to dry them on the surface of the soil but bring them under cover if it's going to rain.

4. Forgotten the other points I was going to make but I'm sure someone will cover them for me!

There is absolutely masses of information on the website linked to this forum, suggest you have a browse as I'm sure you'll find answers to many questions you'd identified and then some others too.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 18:48 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

nappy501

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 22:59 »
Hi Nappy501 and congrats on your new lotty  :D

You've asked so many questions there it might be worth asking some in individual posts in the future as some are bound to get missed - you've already had to repeat a couple :)

Okay, I shall try to remember next time.  Should I ask the questions again in this part of the forum?
People have made lots of good points so I'll only fill in a few gaps.

1. Carpet.  Please seriously consider not using this.  It releases chemicals into the soil as it degrades, it falls to pieces and/or weeds grow through it over time - and it's a b*gger to remove (one member on this forum has put his back out trying to lift it).  They are banned on my lotty site for all these reasons.  You say you want to be as organic; suggest you go with the other suggestions for covering ground if possible.

Naughty with the carpet then.  I shall see about sourcing cardboard.  I was expecting the weeds to be dead underneath the carpet as it has been down 3 full months, but they are just white and yellow.  I do have some weed suppressant, but not such a large quantity.
2. What to grow when.  The seed packets are always a good guide.  Also this chart
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=53974.0

The link takes me to safe weedkillers?  Is this the one you meant?

3. Onions are probably falling over because they are ready.  Once the foliage has died down, lift them and dry them properly before storing them.  It is recommended to dry them on the surface of the soil but bring them under cover if it's going to rain.
Oh really!  They are just so small.  They don't seem to have grown at all since I put them in.  The foliage is still green and a couple have seed heads on.

4. Forgotten the other points I was going to make but I'm sure someone will cover them for me!

There is absolutely masses of information on the website linked to this forum, suggest you have a browse as I'm sure you'll find answers to many questions you'd identified and then some others too.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php

I shall have a look around.  I forgot to say I have watched Claire's allotment on YouTube which is informative and as suggested I purchased The Essential Allotment Guide and Vegetable growing month by month.

These are all good when you are doing things at the right time, but not so helpful when you are out of time. 

Thank you for your comments.

Regards

Nappy501

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50 »
I bought Joy Larkcoms book from amazon - £5.96 delivered, it was brand new and is marked £9.99 on the cover - highly recommended !

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 16:36 »
Considering the state of the plot you've done very, very well to have dug so much and get some beds in. Keep at it. within 1-2years it will be a different plot. keep looking at your start photos to remind you how hard you've worked and what you've acheived. Well done.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 18:50 »
Okay, I shall try to remember next time.  Should I ask the questions again in this part of the forum?
The link takes me to safe weedkillers?  Is this the one you meant?

Link now edited !

(And thanks Mumofstig for the PM alerting me to this error - one day I'll link perfectly to messages!!)

nappy501

2012 was Re: New allotment
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 14:33 »
Hi Everyone,

I have come to ask a question about potatoes.  I can't believe it is nearly two years since I posted here.  I was reading over this post.

Well in the second year we managed some more beds and dug a well.  The courgettes didn't do well.  I got 3 blueberries.  The sweetcorn was a bit dire.

Well I spent two years on that plot and at the end of last year was offered a plot with a shed and well and all dug over.  It took a lot of thought as I had put so much work into the first one, but I decided as I was going to start paying this year I should take it.

We managed to get very little down late last year.  I managed to move the raspberries and make a plan, but not much else.  We haven't even taken any photographs.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 15:02 »
hello again and good luck with the new plot  :)

If you want to carry on posting about your new allotment - can I suggest you start a diary?
Just start a topic here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=37.0.

This leaves the main board clear for questions and keeps all your own progress and pictures together.

xx
new allotment

Started by mr dave on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2006, 12:01
by mr dave
xx
New allotment HELP!!!

Started by Janle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 17:02
by sunshineband
xx
new allotment

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 11:18
by Christine
xx
My noo allotment

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 21:06
by MJS

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 36 queries.