bark chippings

• 4 Replies

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
bark chippings
« on: July 27, 2010, 20:13 »
hi everyone

right i know this is a big ask but we tidying up the back garden which is full of fruit trees and because of health reasons we have decided to bark chip round then and the rest of the garden   :D NOW THE BIG QUESTION i think we will need about 20 tonnes  :ohmy: of bark chippings so i need a cheap supply of the some where in the scunthorpe / north lincs area
so anyone with info please help yours bgb
remember plants can't read books

chris.selvey

Re: bark chippings
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 20:25 »
Hi, have you tried asking local tree surgeons? we use our local surgeon to drop us chippings, it saves us money on buying them and saves him money so he doesn't have to pay to dump or store them.

tideswellman

• A Tideswellmans Weblog
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 22:25 »
Hey thanks for the tip...I know a tree surgeon and have just sent him a begging email asking for scraps.  Nice one

fatbloke

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 22:40 »
Hi
I too have a big garden and have had chippings from an old guy in Broughton. £20 for a big builders bag which i think is good value,
If you want directions let me know

Ian

duckling

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 16:14 »
Hi

This may not be relevant for the vast quantities you are needing, but I have just done a costing exercise as we need a load of bark chipping for our garden (about 2-3 tonnes).  Don't forget though, you need the rotted type for it to help the garden.  The new stuff saps the nutriants out of the soil (so a Gardening expert told me). 

We have a place called Countrywide here in Somerset (Think they are nationwide) and they sell Bark Chipping in Bales (100 Ltrs)  3 bales for £16( £5.33 per 100Lts).  or £7 each bale bought singley.

Other places do the dumpy bags (750 Ltrs per dumpy bag) for £60 plus VAT = £9.40 for 100 Ltrs, or £40 Plus VAT collect it yourself (per cubic metre- which I think is a dumpy bag), so that is £6.27 per 100 ltrs, but this still does not beat the £16 for 300 Ltrs.

Also you are only buying the right amount of bags you need instead of to the nearest dumpy bag, and then left with loads in a corner somewhere.

I'm about to phone Countrywide and see if they will give me a discount for 30 bags!!!! I'm cheaky. ;)
Good luck
Regards
1 x Hubby, 2 x dogs, 6 x chooks and one big garden - Loving Life

xx
bark chippings

Started by hanssg on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 21:33
by Lee1978
xx
wood/bark chippings?

Started by ladyloulee on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 08:50
by Minty
xx
Where to get free wood chippings??

Started by infowarrior on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 06:44
by Rangerkris
xx
Free wood chippings?

Started by infowarrior on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 15:45
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 38 queries.