Raspberry cane planting

• 4 Replies

Chappyfastlad

Raspberry cane planting
« on: May 08, 2019, 06:09 »
I bought some raspberry canes both summer and autumn varieties in March, I planted them straight away as per instructions, how long roughly should they take before any signs of new growth appears. Beginning to think they have failed to root :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry cane planting
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:02 »
Was it early March or late March that you planted them?  If early March, I'd say they should be showing signs of life and it might be worth contacting the supplier to see what they say.

If it was late March, they may still be getting going.  They are much slower to show growth in their first year than in subsequent years.

Another thought - have you watered them at all.  It has been pretty dry over the last few weeks. 

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 21:42 »
when I first tried to introduce raspberry's to the veg plot I bought boxed ones, they failed.
then I bought so many canes in a pot, they failed.
third time I had some runners from a friend. they grew away very well.
so much so that I now have 2 rows which must be a good 4 foot wide and runners spreading out very vigorously.
have you run  your nail over the bark  near the base to see if the canes are green?

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:45 »
Good advice so far: If it is dry make sure you water them as, to begin with at least, they are fairly shallow rooted. Once they are established (if all goes well) they can be pretty hardy when it comes to surviving dry spells even so, water helps the flowers and fruit to develop.

If yours do fail to shoot - don't give up too soon... just keep them moist but not drowned... if there's still not a sign of green.. oik them out at the end of June and find a mate with a good sized patch who will lift some for you to try again.

I lifted mine at the wrong time of year (when I left my allotment behind) and replanted in a rather rough patch of clay soil as it was a hurried job - lots to do at the time. They survived... and multiplied. Once you have a few established they will give you new canes that you can lift and plant where you want.

Here's wishing you luck with yours but, if the don't make it I really would try to find someone needing to keep their unruly patch under control as they may be happy to pass a few canes to you for free.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:48 »
I also planted 6 new JoanJ rasps this spring and only 2 show any new growth yet, I'm not worried YET! - just assuming that all the work is going on below ground....
I sure hope it isn't misplaced confidence  :nowink:

xx
Raspberry Cane Planting

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 08:52
by Kristen
clip
Raspberry Cane

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 19:31
by mumofstig
clip
Raspberry Cane

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2015, 15:42
by mdjlucan
xx
Raspberry cane help please

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 21:27
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.