First earlies...

• 41 Replies

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
Re: First earlies...
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 12:46 »
Just wondered - how do people judge when you can lift new potatoes? Once they've flowered, or should they be left longer? Thx.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 13:32 »
Some varieties don't actually flower, those that do may or may not be signalling that the crop is ready (Rocket, for instance, seem to flower long before the tubers have reached even salad potato size.)

A few suggestions - go by the number of weeks to harvest date of your variety, but don't be afraid to furtle around where you think the spuds should be if your curiosity gets the better of you!

Main crop potatoes are usually left until the foliage dies back naturally to maximise the yield (blight permitting) but that's not usually the main objective with new/salad potatoes.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 16:38 »
The Charlotte are flowering right now, and may be worth a furtle, but the Swift need to be lifted first!

Funnily enough, this odd spring weather doesn't seem to have made any difference to their growth - apart from dashing down there to cover them up when there was a frost alert!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 23:17 »
Ilook forward to the 8th June, then  :)
Well 8th June has come and gone and this week I dug up one the the 1st earlies (Swift)....nothing, except some white peas on the end of long strings.  There were 2 bigger ones about 3cm across and that was it...and that was one of the bigger plants.
I think it has been too dry.
Anne

Auntiemogs

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 08:10 »
I decided to have a go at using supermarket flower buckets for my Charlottes this year. 

17 seed potatoes (from the Poundshop), and I've harvested 16lbs so far, by carefully removing from the bucket and taking a few from each one.   :tongue2:

I'm hoping to have enough home made compost next year (the most expensive part), and will use this year's remains to top up my raised beds.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Goosegirl

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 14:49 »
Have harvested about 5 Pentland Javelin roots despite no show of flowers. Quite a variation in size but I've always found that with my pots, and we've had three boilings so far.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 15:10 »
Have harvested about 5 Pentland Javelin roots despite no show of flowers. Quite a variation in size but I've always found that with my pots, and we've had three boilings so far.

PJs always look great when just boiled, GG!

We took up some Swift today, and the skins can be pulled off, if you like them like that, and Mrs Growster did a fry-up with them which was delicious!

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 16:00 »
No flowers on my pentland javs but they are producing tubers which will be getting a harvest next week. I do have flowers on the maincrops now (desired and king eds).

AnneB

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 23:35 »
Sharpe's Express ready, despite no flowers and only half the height the foliage ought to be.  All very strange this year.

LotuSeed

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 06:39 »
Completely dug up my Red Norlands a week ago after sneaking tubers from them a few times. Maincrops finished flowering weeks ago. I've dug a few up and popped some of the plants back in the ground. I have other varieties in pots that are flowering, but I think they are mislabeled. We've eaten some fresh and I've canned just over 9 quarts.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Mrs Bee

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 09:25 »
We don't bother with first earlies as we weren't blown away with the taste.

We stick with Charlottes which we eat as new and leave them to grow on for roasting and mash and Juliettes.

Late spuds don't do well on our site as we have blight. We tried some last year and all we got were stinking mush.

We have tried a few different spuds as well as the Charlottes this year but I can't remember which they are.

We found that last years potatoes lasted until May. The last ones were just about to go over and mad them into oven chips for the freezer. We then get a bag of Jersey royals which take us through to the first Charlottes. Mr Bee is digging some up as I type.

Growster...

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 17:10 »
Charlotte are just great spuds aren't they, Mrs Bee!

Ours just seem to go on and on, well into the New Year, and they taste marvellous too!

I hope Mr Bee was wearing a hat today..;0)

xx
first Earlies ?

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 07:51
by starry
xx
first earlies

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 16:44
by Bernard
xx
2nd earlies

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 23:06
by Yorkie
xx
after First earlies

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 13:53
by GreenOwl

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 39 queries.