zinnia

• 5 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
zinnia
« on: July 28, 2012, 22:19 »
This year I sowed zinnia in the house, I transpanted them and placed them outside on shelves, some I planted into Large terrocota pots, they looked really vulnerable, infact the plants in plastic pots on shelves did less well than them in the large pots, the ones in large pots were attacked less by bugs than them that were in plastic pots, Does anybody grow Zinnia with sucess as I think they are beautiful, mine are nice but have leaves that have been eaten a bit tho the flowers make up for it so you dont really notice x

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: zinnia
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:29 »
I have grown them, not this year though, seeds sown in modules or trays then planted straight out in the ground when they are big enough. I don't have an impression that they are particularly attacked either. Very cheerful flowers.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:43 »
I've grown "mixed Zinnia" sown directly into the border for the last few years - needless to say this year with the cold and wet the germination took longer, was patchier, and slugs were more of a problem, but they've pulled through and should be flowering soon (when they do the flowers are almost dazzlingly brightly coloured and some have the most unbelievable shapes too!)

No more difficult than any other annual I would say, and one of mine even put up with being replanted after being pulled clean out by a bird and left for dead on the soil!   :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:46 »
Yes that will be it, we had lots of slugs and snails too, and the weather has been dreadful, thanks  :)

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:46 »
Even the Zinnia plants I bought mail order are sulking at the moment- they have a point, I think I would sulk if I was living out doors this year, but plenty of buds so I am hoping!

At least they are doing better than the 'plants formerly known as petunias' who have given up, the weather and the slugs was too much!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 21:58 »
Yep my Petunia dying to  :(

xx
zinnia

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2020, 08:09
by rowlandwells
xx
Zinnia

Started by casper on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2022, 20:59
by casper
xx
Zinnia

Started by casper on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 13:23
by JayG
xx
Zinnia?

Started by mrswashi on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post September 20, 2013, 07:07
by Sweetpea C

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.