Yucca plant

• 8 Replies

Brad26

Yucca plant
« on: May 19, 2009, 16:17 »
Hi all, just bought a Yucca plant for £2 from tescos today, never had one of my own before but it brings back childhood memories of when my parents had on along with a cheese plant as well when i was growing up. The care instructions aren't all that great though and wondered if anyone could guide me on its care. Its pretty much a bog standard one with a branch of leaves growing from a main cut off trunk and other little sets of leaves are starting to sprout in different places around the trunk, should i nip these out and let the main set grow or let them carry on?  Many thanks in advance

Brad

Trillium

Re: Yucca plant
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 18:46 »
I just planted mine in a relatively dry place where it wouldn't be moved and let it get on with it. They're desert plants which need little water, but a bit at planting time some water wouldn't hurt. Yuccas will develop various stalks on which they'll eventually flower (which is a truly beautiful thing) so I wouldn't do any pruning.  And don't add manure or such.

Brad26

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 19:55 »
Thanks very much for the advice, would you say water just once a week then or what?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 22:29 »
Just to get it going for a few weeks then stop watering....unless it's been raining a lot.

Brad26

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 22:54 »
I'm going to be keeping inside as a house plant, sorry i obviously neglected to ention that. lol

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 23:12 »
I had a yucca back in the seventies.  Seem to remember it was easy to look after but susceptible to red spider mite.  Seemed to thrive on neglect, just like an Aspidistra.
Cheese makes everything better.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 04:22 »
Indoors? Well, I hope you have space for it as it can get quite sizable when mature.

catllar

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10 »
If you're keeping your yucca indoors and it gets out of hand it can be pruned, although it look v ugly for a while. We did this with one - had to use a pruning saw and removed a couple of unwanted branches fairly low down ( to mitigate the dead stump look), gave it a feed (pruned it in the spring, but ours lives outside in the ground) and although it took nearly a year it eventually produced lots of little tufts of new leaves around the pruned bit and now looks fabulous! Just need to be brave and patient.

Stree

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:27 »
Just popped out to look at my yuccas.One at about 18 foot and the other about 22foot.
Wrens like nesting at the base of the leaves.
 Both planted in relatively poor dry soil and doing great.

xx
Yucca plant

Started by Rangerkris on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 13:19
by fatcat1955
xx
yucca

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 19:00
by sunshineband
xx
Palm or yucca

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 15:18
by casper
xx
Plant ID?

Started by Gavvodka on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 23:18
by mobilekat

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.