Zinnia?

• 26 Replies

Sweetpea C

Re: Zinnia?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 07:19 »
Whatever are them ate only them (from what I can tell). I have sowed some more and will sow some direct too. I will not be beaten!!!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49 »
I don't think they like being transplanted - best sown direct (and then cross your fingers weather-wise.)

Mine may be doomed then! They are in paper pots! Yours look really beautiful. :)

Growing in paper pots minimises root disturbance when planting out, so they should be OK (some websites say you can start them in modules or pots and plant out anyway, but on balance I think the advice is that it's best not to.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Sweetpea C

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 18:06 »
LOL - I went to the garden centre and the seeds are half price, including Sarah Raven who's seeds I've had great success with (they are still full price online). So, I've got Zinnia Envy - a green zinnia which is supposed to be a great cut flower. I'm so excited! 

tribs

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 16:19 »
I bought some from lidl. 2 packs for 50p. Dahlia flowered and Lilliput mix which are like crepe paper flowers. I chitted them and had little seedlings in 2 days. Only thing is I don't have any space in the ground to put them. Do you think I could grow them singly in flower buckets?

allotmentann

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 19:41 »
LOL - I went to the garden centre and the seeds are half price, including Sarah Raven who's seeds I've had great success with (they are still full price online). So, I've got Zinnia Envy - a green zinnia which is supposed to be a great cut flower. I'm so excited! 
I am trying Envy too. Hope they grow, they have been hailed on this afternoon >:(

Sweetpea C

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 21:22 »
I am trying Envy too. Hope they grow, they have been hailed on this afternoon >:(

Yes, we got the 'weather' too .....

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 16:22 »
Lovely flower choice, I adore these, I sowed indoors last year, mine where blown out their green house, eaten and scorched, but still managed to reward me with the most amazing flowers, although leaves a bit battered. I believe for this reason that they are hard enough for direct sow, which I will do this year, too cold here yet though, good luck love them  :)

Flowertot

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 22:10 »
Jay, you are a star  :D after my first and second lots sown in modules were a failure (apart from 2 pathetic looking seedlings), I sowed seeds direct (in a huff  ::)) after your advice and now have a row of little Zinnia seedlings!  :D :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 16:43 »
This year's Zinnia display, pic taken just before the recent stormy weather (not looking so good now!  :()
The blooms have been there for up to around 4 weeks, amazingly long lasting.  :)

Close up of one of the Cosmos sharing the Zinnia border (well, dominating it really!)
Pleased with both of them, especially as they were from 25p packets of Lidl seed - well done them!  :)

Sweetpea C

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 17:10 »
Lovely Jay - I got success from direct sown and transplanted - I'm going to try and get some seeds from the ones that I let go over - greta in a cut flower arrangement.

Thanks for your advice,

Caroline

Flowertot

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 22:08 »
Oh yes, I have to thank you again Jay.  I was going to give up after my earlier failures until you suggested sowing direct.  I have huge healthy plants now and a gorgeous bunch of flowers on the kitchen table each week which put a smile on my face.  My 10 year old son calls them "Mad Zinnias"  :D

Sweetpea C

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 07:07 »
Oh yes, I have to thank you again Jay.  I was going to give up after my earlier failures until you suggested sowing direct.  I have huge healthy plants now and a gorgeous bunch of flowers on the kitchen table each week which put a smile on my face.  My 10 year old son calls them "Mad Zinnias"  :D

Well done 10 year old son for knowing the name - I bet not many of them do (although my 10 year old girl does  :D) x

xx
zinnia

Started by casper on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 21:58
by casper
xx
zinnia

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2020, 08:09
by rowlandwells
xx
Zinnia

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2022, 20:59
by casper
xx
Zinnia

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 13:23
by JayG

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 37 queries.