nice to meet you

• 19 Replies

yellowkid

nice to meet you
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:23 »
Ciao a tutti (greetings to everybody) .
First of all,I must apologize for my bad english ,but I hope to improve it in the future.Now I'm writing (and reading your posts) with an old dictionary so ,please,be good with me.I'm italian and I am a very big fan of english gardening.I searched for long time a site of english vegetable gardening and finally I met with you a few days ago.I am an italian seed saver and I have a very little kitchen garden,but I love it.I read on this site about comfrey and tomatoes and I have a question for you :"I grow my tomatoes in ground without protection.I must feed them every week with comfrey tea?" I didn't understand this thing.
Thank you very much
         Yellowkid((a middle-aged person not a kid)      :lol:

WG.

nice to meet you
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:40 »
Ciao yellowkid and welcome.

I can't grow tomatoes outdoors in Scotland so please await expert replies from others.

WG.

Re: nice to meet you
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:53 »
Quote from: "yellowkid"
I must apologize for my bad english ,but I hope to improve it in the future

I wish my Italian was as "bad" as your English seems to be!!    You did just great, friend.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
nice to meet you
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 09:57 »
Welcome yellowkid.

Comfrey is a plant. When the leaves have been soaked in water for a few days, it makes a liquid fertiliser. Some people call this 'tea'. It would be similar to the tomato feed that you get in bottles, a lot of people use this comfrey solution rather than the commercial product.

Another David
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

yellowkid

Re: nice to meet you
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:38 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "yellowkid"
I must apologize for my bad english ,but I hope to improve it in the future

I wish my Italian was as "bad" as your English seems to be!!    You did just great, friend.

Thank you Whisky,you are very kind!
      Ciao Yellow

yellowkid

nice to meet you
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 11:58 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Welcome yellowkid.

Comfrey is a plant. When the leaves have been soaked in water for a few days, it makes a liquid fertiliser. Some people call this 'tea'. It would be similar to the tomato feed that you get in bottles, a lot of people use this comfrey solution rather than the commercial product.

Another David

Thank Dave,but I wish to know if I must feed tomatoes every week.Before my meeting with you ,I never fed weekly my tomatoes.I fed them only at beginning with manure and nothing else.BUT : because you are the best vegetable gardener in the world and because I trust in you and because I want to improve my knoledge on gardening,
please,answer to me :  WEEKLY?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
nice to meet you
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 13:02 »
Once the fruit has started to set on the first truss, that is when you start feeding. The plant needs more energy to make better tomatoes. I think it is generally accepted that you start with a feed once a week and then when there is fruit on the second truss, even every 3 or 4 days.

You will no doubt have good tomatoes from what you are doing, but should have even better ones with a regular feed.

Dave
(NOT the best gardener in the world!)

yellowkid

nice to meet you
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 13:35 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Once the fruit has started to set on the first truss, that is when you start feeding. The plant needs more energy to make better tomatoes. I think it is generally accepted that you start with a feed once a week and then when there is fruit on the second truss, even every 3 or 4 days.

You will no doubt have good tomatoes from what you are doing, but should have even better ones with a regular feed.

Dave
(NOT the best gardener in the world!)

THANKS ,now I can start my way towards the glory!!!!
Tomatoes wait for me!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
nice to meet you
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 15:46 »
Hello Yellowkid, welcome to the site, I hope you will learn lots from here.  What tomatoes are you growing?  One of my varieties is Costoluto Fiorentino from Seeds of Italy.  Do you grow them or are they just grown for the export market?

yellowkid

nice to meet you
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 16:15 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hello Yellowkid, welcome to the site, I hope you will learn lots from here.  What tomatoes are you growing?  One of my varieties is Costoluto Fiorentino from Seeds of Italy.  Do you grow them or are they just grown for the export market?

Hello Grannieannie,I know Costoluto Fiorentino but I don't grow it in this moment.It isn't only for export market but also for us.
I grow old variety that don't need water for grown and they maintain(correct?) for winter salads.They are delicious and if you want ,at the end of this summer,I'll give you some seeds.I grow also S. Marzano,Belmonte .Another question:" Can I use Comfrey tea for peppers and aubergines?"
      Ciao e grazie ( Hello and thanks)

mercury

nice to meet you
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 19:04 »
Hello yellowkid, hope you enjoy the site, i'm sure you will :)  :)

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
nice to meet you
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 19:10 »
Don't worry bout the English you should see posts late at night after the vino. Welcome to the site
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Ice

• muck spreader
nice to meet you
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 20:05 »
Quote from: "Celtic Eagle"
Don't worry bout the English you should see posts late at night after the vino. Welcome to the site

Or muntjac at any time of the day :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Welcome to the site. I am growing Costalutta and Roma this year from the Italian collection too.
Cheese makes everything better.

muntjac

nice to meet you
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 20:15 »
spank for mad hockey girl  :lol:
still alive /............

Ice

• muck spreader
nice to meet you
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 20:19 »
Spect I won't get that recipe now. :cry:

xx
A nice new spade?

Started by grumpyoldmark on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 16:21
by Runwell-Steve

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 28 queries.