Hello - Im New

• 10 Replies

ches

• Experienced Member
Hello - Im New
« on: May 29, 2019, 12:31 »
Good afternoon all,

My name is ches. I'm from South Wales in the UK and I have my name on the waiting list for an allotment. I live in a one bed flat with my fiancé so I don't have anywhere to grow.

I've recently been doing some work on my grandfathers garden and I've forgotten how much I love working I the garden.

I'm really keen to grow some veg that I can cook with. I'm interested in Calabrese, sprouts, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and swede to begin with.

I've been watching a lot of videos on Youtube about growing and I can't wait to get started. I really want to grow from seed rather than buying seedlings but im on a budget and dont have the funds for a greenhouse.

My first question to the forum I suppose is.... is it possible to propigate sufficient seedlings in a "mini - 3 shelf greenhouse"

Thanks
Ches
Ches

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Hello - Im New
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 13:25 »
Hello ches and welcome. I have used a mini greenhouse for growing seeds in the past. I have also used a window sill indoors.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 13:30 »
Hello ches and welcome. I have used a mini greenhouse for growing seeds in the past. I have also used a window sill indoors.

Thanks Fairy. Our window sills in the flat are at floor level so last time I tried growing herbs....the two Chihuahuas ate them haha

Pescador

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 16:00 »
Hi Ches and welcome from Pontyclun.
A 3 shelf grow house will produce quite a few plants and many can be sown direct in the plot.
Where in S.Wales are you based?
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 16:34 »
Hi Ches and welcome from Pontyclun.
A 3 shelf grow house will produce quite a few plants and many can be sown direct in the plot.
Where in S.Wales are you based?

Thanks, I think the 3 shelf grow house will be all I need at the moment.

Im in Pontypridd so not far from you!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 21:05 »
Welcome, Ches!

Give my regards to the 'School of Mines'...

(I wasn't clever enough to go there, but my firm did a bit of work in the new campus)!

Snowpea

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 06:30 »
Hi and welcome. The mini greenhouse sounds just the ticket. I sprouted my seeds in trays on the dining table for years. I was very lucky my two cats never seemed interested in any of the seedlings.  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 06:47 »
Hi there, if your mini greenhouse is outside just tie or weight it down well they are affectionately also known as blow aways as they do do that!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 10:43 »
Hi there, if your mini greenhouse is outside just tie or weight it down well they are affectionately also known as blow aways as they do do that!

Thank you. Knowing my luck that would be something is forget to do.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 11:01 »
Hi and welcome. The mini greenhouse sounds just the ticket. I sprouted my seeds in trays on the dining table for years. I was very lucky my two cats never seemed interested in any of the seedlings.  :)

Hi Snowpea,

Im thinking of building a "shelf structure" for the window sill so that I can grow seeds in the house and they're away from the pups.

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 08:15 »
Welcome Ches, it is possible to make a little green house out of scrap wood and semi clear plastic. I have made one before and have to say they work great, they really hold the heat if placed correctly. Very much like a cold frame but larger.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 51 queries.