lawn rescue help

• 2 Replies

Grubbypaws

lawn rescue help
« on: April 26, 2020, 15:31 »
I have never much bothered with my lawn but with all the dry weather it became exceedingly obvious that most of it was dead moss. My husband has decided to scarify it and it now looks ghastly  :( Wot do I do?

I have tried doing a bit of research but would value some expert help from the forum!

Should I overseed it and if so what is the best seed to use?

Should I fertilize it and if so when and what with?

We have lots of nesting birds and a healthy population of bees and butterflies so it would be nice to not use chemicals where possible.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: lawn rescue help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 16:28 »
I would start by trying to work out why it became so mossy in the first place - most commonly it's because the soil is compacted/poorly drained/shaded (or all 3), but it can also be (as with mine) that the soil is light and so poor in nutrients that the grass doesn't grow well in summer, leaving the moss to take over in winter.

If it's the first, improving the drainage should be a priority (usually by forking holes into the turf, and possibly brushing sand into the holes) - if it's the second, fertilising with a high nitrogen fertiliser would obviously help, although any fertiliser would be better than nothing.

As for re-seeding the bare patches, try to find a seed mix which will match the rest of the lawn (difficult, it's probably a lot different from what was originally sown/turfed.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jezza

Re: lawn rescue help
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 18:00 »
Hello as Kath says work out the underlying problem by spiking  or hollow tining either with a fork or a mechanical aereator then mix hundred weight of sandy soil and peat compost (well rotted leaf mold if no compost) if clay soil, peat and a fine grit for sandy soil apply at 1 shovel full to a square yard brush in or use the back of a rake and rub in or a lute if you can find one  till you can't see any soil on the surface,then mix a good quality grass seed with a seed compost and over seed the whole area rub in with a brush and water well  jezza

thumbup
Even more rescue plants

Started by arugula on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 15:21
by arugula
xx
We had to rescue some tadpoles

Started by Beetroot queen on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 08:44
by Beetroot queen
xx
new lawn help please

Started by grinling on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 16:34
by grinling
xx
lawn help

Started by juliec on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 09:31
by juliec

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.