Hi from the desert known as Essex

• 3 Replies

ken38

Hi from the desert known as Essex
« on: June 03, 2020, 07:14 »
Hi, just took over half a plot in January. Got it all cleared. New roof on shed. Early potatoes locking good. Just got first flowers on one foremost plant. Two rows of foremost, two kestrel.
Spring sown broad beans doing ok until yesterday. How does black fly appear so suddenly?
Soil is heavy clay and the top dries out to rock. I am planning on spending a lot of effort adding humous but at the moment seeds are a disaster. I don't have a greenhouse or cold frame.
My brassicas are protected from cabbage white by netting but now are curling their leaves with aphids.
No rain in sight for weeks. Lots of watering.
So I have some small clear areas still. Thinking of creating a small raised salad/ seed bed with lots of added compost (shop bought for now, sorry!) but what to plant.
Also will start lifting potatoes soon. What should I plant in the empty space.
Ps I am a relatively fit retired 69 who is missing jiving to rock and roll in this horrible shutdown. So digging was good thereapy. Sorry rock breaking in many places!
So I really would like some planting ideas if I can find seeds or plants.
Saludos

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hi from the desert known as Essex
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 08:22 »
Welcome to the forum Ken and congrats on the progress you're making with your new lotty  :D

People often put leeks in where their early lifted spuds were.  If you don't have those, then you could look at quick growing things like salad, radish, beetroots etc.

Or perhaps start some dwarf beans in modules now so they are ready to go out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ken38

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:24 »
Hi Yorkie, I have about 50 leeks just planted out. I shall grab some seedlings if I see them.  I also have beans in. A few runners and mainly French climbing. I normally do well at home and get plenty for us. We are not keen on them frozen.
I was hoping I might plant some hardy winter crops. I suppose cabbage sits as a favourite but those aphids look really bad. I am going to try some fairy liquid to wash them but as they sit wrapped in the leaves it may not be effective.

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 17:20 »
Black fly love Nasturtiums - I find they will settle on them rather than on crops.

xx
Hello from Essex

Started by Steve D on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2018, 20:23
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 38 queries.