fruit growing

• 11 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
fruit growing
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:35 »
Hi I've just had a strange experience. Just been to look at some new allotments aside exsisting allotments. I explained to the manager that I wanted a double plot to grow friut and nut trees under planted with woodland flowers and grass. with a few veg as I allready grow some veg at home and he thought that it was a strange request and that he was concerned that I wouln't keep the plot tidy. He said that it would "look like and orchard". I've just looked at the allotment act and it says you can grow fruit and vegetables.  Plus he told me on the phone there was no restrictions on what you could grow ecept keeping live stock. Now he has sent me away to think about it?

I'm really surprised, I explianed to him that i'm a keen gardener and not afraid of hard work. and would keep it tidy. Any Feelings on the subject.

Regards Rachel

Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Dominic

Re: fruit growing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 13:23 »
Oddly, I'm going to side with authority here.

Your trees are going to, eventualy, shade everyone elses plots, which is a problem.
If/when you get bored/die, the allotment association is going to have to cut down 50 trees and pull out 50 stumps and dig out 50 root balls.

If you want an orchard, buy a field, its not what allotments are meant for.

I say this as a guy with two cherry trees (well, three, but ones coming out) in my garden.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 14:16 »
We're not allowed trees on our site, full stop.

Whilst I can appreciate that you would keep it clean and tidy, it's going to be a few years before you see any reasonable return.

I don't know it there's a waiting list or not, but I can imagine this would be very frustrating to someone waiting for a plot to grow their own veg with a turn around time of a few months, if not weeks.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 19:20 »
Hi rachelk and wecome to the site  :D

Sorry to hear you feel so aggrieved, but I also agree with the posts above.

A fruit orchard is impossible to let to anyone else who takes the plot on after you, effectively putting it out of permanent use or requiring £100's to remove the trees and make it workable.

The Allotment Acts may stipulate mainly fruit and veg, but that is not the end of the matter.  The owner of the land is entitled to set other criteria for the gardening of the land.  Our council stipulates 50% or more cultivated.  But people can also grow flowers, not necessarily included in the Acts.

Finally, if you get given a double plot on a new site then you're incredibly lucky.  People here only get a half plot.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Madame Cholet

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 20:59 »
Its a whole new field being brought into cultivation and several others have doubles.I'm only planting six trees not 50, other plots have odd trees and one man has double plot and half of that is decking and a summer house!

purplebat

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 22:18 »
I'm with you Rachelk, in my opinion it should be stated in the rules that no trees are to be grown, then there'd be no misunderstandings.
I wonder if you could compromise on the type of fruit trees you grow; I've just planted some plum and apple trees but I've gone for the minarette varieties so root growth is kept to a minimum, as our plots are very close to each other, it may be a solution rather than going head to head on it, and possibly having problems in the future
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

savbo

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:44 »
anyone else got people practicing forest-permaculture-type cultivation on their site? we have, it's like a wee jungle!

m

kel28

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 13:55 »
Am I being silly or could you not grow veg/ rasp/ strawberries that type of thing on your allot and do the trees at home or dont you have enough room?
kem

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 17:03 »
In defence of the allotment site a couple of trees, grass and woodland isn't an allotment, nor the purpose for which they are intended. Nut trees are not small usually.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 20:50 »
Thanks for the idea of mineretts may adapt it slightly and grow a fan cherry up the side of the shed and a couple of espailer apples on the North and East side, which I can prune to 6', with a fan mulberry and almond on the south side, so they don't cast too much shade on the neighbours. I can squeeze into a single plot then and have a few raised beds up the end ajoining the exsisting plots. to make it look more traditional, to grow sweet corn and other things which i've not got room for at home. I'm hoping to incorporate some soft fruit in the hedge. although I grow cordens at home already. I ike the idea of layering and permaculture. may try growing beans, cucumbers and courgetts up the trees and an arch for a kiwi fruit. Hope the manager will approve of that.

purplebat

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 21:40 »
let us know how you get on rachelk  :)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 06:39 »
You got some great idea's there and seem to have a thing for tree's which is great i love all tree except conifer  :mad: :mad:  My little lad got an apple tree for the plot for his 4th Birthday thats what he asked for.  Hope you get your tree's we are allowed them on our plots as long as they dont get out of hand.
Thanks
Kris

xx
Growing fruit

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 18:35
by gavinjconway
xx
Growing fruit

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 17:22
by Springlands
xx
Growing Fruit and Veg in pots.

Started by fatfei on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 12:00
by SG6
xx
growing fruit trees

Started by coopready on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 08:08
by Tohmahtae

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 39 queries.