Beautiful Red Acer

• 7 Replies

fatbelly

Beautiful Red Acer
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:41 »
Hi someone on our street has got the most stunning tree whose leaves are the most vibrant and beautiful colour red. I think it is a Red Acer, we want to get one has anyone got any recommendations of which to buy. I have asked the owner but she says she has no idea what it is and it was in when she bought the house.

Thanks FB
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Beautiful Red Acer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 13:31 »
Why not have a wander round your local garden centre to see if they have any, then take the name and order from a nursery. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 14:50 »
When did you see this Acer Fatbelly?

Most Acers go either yellow/orange or bright red colours in autumn but are either green or red/purple during the summer.

Mine is Acer palmatum dissectum Garnet which I posted a picture of a week or so ago; did the one you saw look anything like this?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=63770.msg770603#msg770603

Mine is still only about 3' high after about 5 years (although it has been moved twice!)
If you Google the variety you will find the maximum height given as between 1.5 metres and 5 metres after 10 (or 20) years. Very helpful!  :nowink:

I suspect the types with red/purple foliage are more likely to have bright red autumn foliage but others might disagree having had more experience of them than I have.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

00mph

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 19:47 »
It could be a Red Sentinel - we have one in our garden and it is beautiful at this time of year.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:41 »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 10:35 »
Thanks to all for the replies, your posts have helped.  :D

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 20:10 »
Hi,I have an Osakazuki. Its a fab bright  red in the autumn and green with red tinge thro the summer,it out grew its pot after 8 years so ive planted it in the garden where it can grow as big as it likes .Its about 6ft now thats after 8 years, not cheap but well worth it,best of luck with your choice just check the size it will grow to if not in a pot.

SG6

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50 »
I have a bloodgood acer, it has reddish leaves all year and has just turned a lovely deep red. It seems fairly happy in the ground which isn't particularily acidic, actually probably the other way owing to a chalk layer not far down (inches).

Seems good as it has not gone above 4 foot high, and is a good red colour. Small leaves also.

Is the trre that you see definately an acer? Only ask as there is a tree called a liquid amber that also has very good autumn colour, probably better then an acer. The bark is more knarled then most acers, the leaves are still acer like in that they have 5 points. They do however need an acid soil. So not worth thinking of unless the soil is acid.

xx
acer

Started by davidmw on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 23:01
by chrissie B
xx
Acer

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 10:29
by sunshineband
xx
Acer from seed?

Started by sazzy123 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 17:16
by Runwell-Steve
xx
help, bugs on acer

Started by pedro on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 08:10
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 34 queries.