Templer tiller with Aspera engine

• 3 Replies

Greg40

Templer tiller with Aspera engine
« on: May 02, 2009, 16:46 »
I purchased a Templer Tiller rotavator with 4 stroke Aspera engine in the 1970's, ran it for a few years then used it again in the late 80's a little.
   Last week I decded to start using it again.
 I emptied the fuel and cleaned the tank and filter, removed the flywheel and sorted the electrics.
 Now it starts first pull but only runs for a couple of seconds and dies, even though the revs are quite high. another couple of pulls and its the same again.
 It will start and run on tickover but as soon as the lever ( opens the butterfly in the carb via a spring) which controls the engine speed/power moves across it dies.
 Has anyone had any experience with this engine

Gwiz

Re: Templer tiller with Aspera engine
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:24 »
If I remember correctly, remove the carb bowl, and the main jet is in the tube that the carb bowl was held onto. It's a brass jet, about 1 1/2" long, and unscrews out from the housing anti-clockwise. you could try removing the carb, holding it upside down, and giving it a good soaking in carb cleaner, but I expect that it wil need to be taken out.
I expect that it's quite tarnished from stale petrol, and needs a good clean.
Let us know how you get on. ;)

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:22 »
If I remember correctly, remove the carb bowl, and the main jet is in the tube that the carb bowl was held onto. It's a brass jet, about 1 1/2" long, and unscrews out from the housing anti-clockwise. you could try removing the carb, holding it upside down, and giving it a good soaking in carb cleaner, but I expect that it wil need to be taken out.
I expect that it's quite tarnished from stale petrol, and needs a good clean.
Let us know how you get on. ;)

Sounds like the old motorcycle problem, grass seed in the jet.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:20 »
Hello,
    I have had a cultivator with Aspera engine since I was around 18 years old! (I am now 52) It came from a tip in Nottinghamshire and now lives with me in Western Australia.
Does your engine have a diaphragm carburettor? This can be recognised by the lack of float bowl underneath it; it has a sort of flat plate around 30mm square with 4 screws (from memory). If it has then chuck it away and find a float type carb to fit. This was one of the best mods that I ever did, and I found the carb at a tip too. Diaphragm carbs are a real pain whatever they are fitted to, and there doesn't seem to be a good reason to have one on a tiller as my Gardenmaster was fitted with either as standard. If the carb is a float bowl type, then it probably needs a clean, and may then need the mixture jets twiddling with to get it to run well. Take the carb off and dismantle it on a newspaper on the kitchen table: take note of where all of the bits came from! If you are still having grief, post again and I will take some pics of mine.
Regards,   Bulldozersanddirt

clip
ASPERA ENGINE HTB35/ACA12

Started by derekmc on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2017, 20:38
by derekmc
xx
Westwood rotovator with a aspera engine

Started by IRP on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2018, 20:40
by jezza
xx
Valve timing of Aspera Tecumseh engine

Started by jackal on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2008, 19:50
by jackal
xx
Simple question - Tecumseh Aspera Mountfield M1 engine- Gwiz, can you help?

Started by Honeymonster on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 12:41
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 35 queries.